Strange Jeep noise.

Great War truck

As I drive along in my Jeep it occasionally makes a single loud “tick” type noise. Occasionally it does it two or three times at irregular intervals. It sounds like it comes from under the bonnet. I stop the Jeep and look around and can see nothing wrong, yet when I drive off it occasionally makes the noise again (most notably when I go over a bump). It did it again today as I started the Jeep up, but could find no apparent cause of the noise and certainly couldn’t get it to do it again once I had gotten my head under it.

I am wondering if the flexible exhaust pipe might be blowing and making that noise, but I cant be certain and always worry that it is something more problematical. The Jeep is otherwise going very well, just this odd noise. Has anybody got any thoughts?

Many thanks

Tim (too)

• 2 weeks later...
Check the clearance of the fan blades in the cowling, when engine mount flexes going over bumps the fan can hit the bottom of the cowling

That was just about it, but instead of hitting the cowling it was hitting the pulley on the dynamo. Took a while to work out as we couldnt see any shiny bits on the cowl and it only seems to do it when going over bumps. My thanks go to Julian for spotting it. I guess as it has started hitting the pulley then the bearing there is wobbling and on its way out.

Thanks everybody

Tim (too)