Jeep Cylinder Block Number ( ? ) help

Jessie The Jeep

Hello all

Once again, I am seeking to expand my knowledge of my jeep, hopefully with your help!!

I was doing an oil change today, and while I was at it, thought I'd paint the oil filter housing and brackets etc. After removing the housing, I came across this number stamped into the cylinder block, directly behind the oil filter housing. The number reads MB 465 640

793493.jpg

Can anyone tell me the meaning of this number and any other information that can be learned from it?

Many thanks,

Steve

I don't think you can get a great deal more info from an engine number. Possibly what body and chassis number it should be with. There should be a cast date on the engine, below the starter

Block.jpg

11-15. Gives mine a cast date of 15th November. Stamped on the oil pan flange on mine was 11-18-43. I thought that was the assembly date but have since learnt that this is the milling date and the engine would have been put together anytime in the next 10 - 14 days.

That's about all I know.

11-15. Gives mine a cast date of 15th November. Stamped on the oil pan flange on mine was 11-18-43. I thought that was the assembly date but have since learnt that this is the milling date and the engine would have been put together anytime in the next 10 - 14 days.

Hi Cripp,

Working on your example, the block was machined a few days after casting. Obviously with the demand for war, everything has to rushed through, but castings as a rule should have been weathered and allowed to "relax" before machining, around 6 months is best I seem to remember. When they are just cast, they are known as "green" and can distort if machined early. I have come across this some years ago when there had been problems with supply on a certain make of tractor, blocks were cast and machined straight away, bores were subsequently found to distort and had to be rebored under warranty.

Just another piece of useless information :lol:

Richard

• 3 weeks later...