Another heavy ack ack site

Found another one of these, courtesy of Google Earth. Not so close to home though, this time near to what is now Leeds Bradford airport. Again probably well know to those in the locality; but I am surprised to see it doesn't appear on the DoB database, unless i am looking in the wrong section. This one looks much 'cleaner' than my local one, shall have to take a nosey round when I am in the area next.

aaa site2a.JPG

Best one I've seen is the 'Gloucester' Battery at Blyth, still has the generator house, etc etc. I'm told the battery was there as the Germans didn't follow the Tyne up to bomb Newcastle but generally went in up the coast and followed the river out. Hence the battery where it was needed - before the bombs were dropped. Dont know if this is just a local folktale though.

blyth aa battery.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

DoB website is sadly reliant on people to send in data.

I sent in the location of a Pill Box which sits on top of RedHill tunnel over the Nottm to London railway line which is next to Ratcliffe on Sour Power Station.

It was in very good condition when I was last up there as it is has been protected by the trees, and access is via the fields from Thrumpton coming from the East of the Trent.

Sadly Googlemaps/Flash Earth images are out of date

The cross is roughly where the pill box is.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.87197&lon=-1.2651&z=19.2&r=0&src=msa

Although I have heard rumours that it has been demolished.

Sadly Network Rail have now put fences up along the embankment, as alot of cross country runners used the railway bridge. Sadly one runner entered from the West side which is the HST tunnel as the Tunnel on the east is Freight.

And met with an unpleasant end.

There is a large red pentagram on top of the roof.