Sherman Now & Then

Jack

This M4A3 Sherman tank was photographed while driving on the Autobahn (now A9) north of Bayreuth, toward Berlin, on 19 April 1945. This was the interchange for the secondary road leading to Marktschorgast and Gefrees (now Exit 37 for Gefrees). (National Archives, RG 111-SC)

11adautobahnn1.jpg

11adautobahn19apr45sherman.jpg

The 11th Armored Division eventually moved southeast from Bayreuth, ending the war near Linz in Austria. This M4A3E8 Sherman tank is moving through the town of Gallneukirchen, northeast of Linz, on 4 May 1945. The large building in the period photo is now gone, but the building seen behind the tank appears in the left-center of the modern photo (which was taken on 5 May 2005). (National Archives, RG 111-SC)

galneukirchen11ad4may45.jpg

gallneukirchenn1.jpg

The last picture on the left hand side looks like a Firefly????

No it is an M4A3E8.

Note the HVSS suspension with open roadwheels, the flat glacis plate unbroken by hatches and the larger turret for the US 76mm gun, their answer to the Firefly's 17 pdr.

No it is an M4A3E8.

Note the HVSS suspension with open roadwheels, the flat glacis plate unbroken by hatches and the larger turret for the US 76mm gun, their answer to the Firefly's 17 pdr.

Though nowhere near as good!

It's not uncommon for people to call any Sherman with a muzzle brake a Firefly but Alien is spot-on. It's also on T-66 single pin track but knowing that may be seen as a bit anal.....

No it is an M4A3E8.

I'm thinking as pictured is American 11th Armoured Div, it would'nt be a Firefly, which the British 11th Armoured Div would

have been using.

I'm thinking as pictured is American 11th Armoured Div, it would'nt be a Firefly, which the British 11th Armoured Div would

have been using.

I did think myself :sweat: but then thought war is war and you have to make do sometimes :???