Saladin restoration project!!

Mad Cow

At the mad house the latest project for the winter (ok its only July!!) is an Alvis Saladin

We could do with parts if anyone has any??

This Saladin was rescued from a paintball site 3 years ago by us and some nutty friends!! Now time to attack it and get it done so here starts the madness!! Unfortunatly there is no running gear in it, so the plan is to Dieselise it using an original pre select gearbox out of a Malaysian Saladin, which have a higher final drive, to give 45MPH at 2600 RPM, this was using a Perkins Phaser Diesel engine rated at 140BHP. I intend to use a Cummins B series engine rated at 180BHP, with near 600 lbsft torque, they also have a higher rpm at up to 3250, which should also give a cruise speed of 40MPH with no problems, the point for this is I intend to do over 3000 miles in its first show season! Also the braking system will be air over hydraulic donated from an Iveco truck as the Malasians used, They also used the drum brakes from a Saracen. So their fleet of Saladins and Saracens were uniform in maintainance and logistics. But we are not going that far! I did think about Stalwart brakes but after closer inspection the saladin brakes are in good condition.

Copy of Picture 016.jpg

02082008211.jpg

02082008212.jpg

02082008213.jpg

03082008214.jpg

03082008215.jpg

03082008216.jpg

03082008217.jpg

Next mission was to remove the Turret with a little help from a militant!! Having never taken one off before I undid every bolt I could find and gave it a good yank!! nah only joking!! First I removed all the lower bolts securing the turret ring to the hull, after a good look under the turret basket and a conversation with my good friend John (Valentine DD) We lifted the turret about 8 inches so all the connections to the electrics could be removed from the drivers seat, facing to the rear. This is the result......:)

03082008219.jpg

03082008221.jpg

03082008222.jpg

03082008225.jpg

Good luck to your project. Gun is a little oversized - 155mm - isn´t it ? ;-)

I have to pull the turret of my saladin too, because I want to rebuild my gearbox. As you told - seems it is not a very difficult work?

Next Job on the list, remove wheel arches and clear the foot of muck out of the hull as it had been sitting in a forest for many years, and the paintballs too!! not a very pleasant job but some one has to do it!!! found 4 empty .30 cartridges so far.

03082008223.jpg

06082008227.jpg

06082008228.jpg

07082008229.jpg

07082008230.jpg

07082008231.jpg

07082008232.jpg

07082008233.jpg

Good luck to your project. Gun is a little oversized - 155mm - isn´t it ? ;-)

I have to pull the turret of my saladin too, because I want to rebuild my gearbox. As you told - seems it is not a very difficult work?

Hey be thankfull at least u have a gearbox to rebuild!!! You can get the turret off in about 1 hour :) an air gun and compressor and a crane and a good pair of grips to undo the connections under the turret basket. The contrarotating electrical box under the basket is not bolted down at all, it sits between metal guides welded to the hull. You cannot get it wrong.

Reg Numbers

I have no data plate i think a souvenier hunter mayhave the permanent loan of it never to be seen again. I do have the number plate i have sanded it down and got 07 BB 85.With a hull number of ALV 839. CAN ANYONE ?? ANY IDEAS.is there somewhere its stamped ? HELPPPPPP.....

The tank musem say this saladin was first used in aden 1967. as long as its the one

A saladin thread in the http://afvsociety.co.uk/ told from ALV801 1st date of service in 1967. ALV817 was build in 1969. (I can´t belive that ALVIS made only 20 Saladins between 1967 and 1969...) But if these dates are correct, it isn´t possible that your one (ALV 839) saw service in 1967 too. My saladin has hull ALV259 and is from 1958.

Wow!! you have a project there, though not as hard as it first looks. My Saladin had trees growing out of it and a siezed engine but nothing like the work to do that you have.

All the best with it. Out of the 4 MVs that I have the Saladin was the most satisfing one to restore. You can see how I got on by going to http://www.livesteammodels.co.uk/dhmg/ and finding 'Andrew's Adventures - Saladin'.

Is anyone not starting with a new project at the moment?

Seems quite a few folk are starting with something new.

My bet would have been on Madrat to finish his first but now he's got distracted with two projects at once!

Norman

are you sure you didnt get in the boiling vessel? agood bit of steering john sorry the pas was not working i can not understand why??? lol thanks to you and the grumpy and mili power.........

Kellys heroes

in the film oddball says " A SHERMAN CAN GIVE YOU A VERY NICE EDGE"

I think he ment a militant

dave

Mad Cow,Have a look at this link, it's from the 10th Royal Hussars website, it has a number of photos of Saladins on exercise in Germany in 65 - 68 showing numbers 07BB10 etc, so yours cant be too far away from that.

http://www.xrhgb.com/xrhgerm.html

Edited by Adam Elsdon
link not working!

hi

thanks for the pics , I am waiting for the history cards on 07 BB 85 from bovi. as soon as i get them i will be on the look for pics.I can then search for the regiment and time in service. So who knows!

So far i have been lucky with in service pics . My old saracen 05 ff 50 leading a centurion down a road in londonderry operation motorman. 01 RN 75 activ snowtrac pic on the net .stalwart 23 ek 24 pic on the net.

I am on a mision the weekend get the hull cleaned out and get the outside washed off . I will also post some pics . SHOT BLASTING SOON!

When I purchased my ex-Cyprus Saladin from Ludgershall I was luckly enough through a contact at the depot to be able to obtain a complete photocopy of the vehicles entire service history. This started from day one at the factory and included all mechanical work ever carried out, the results of all the inspections plus the gun records.

At that time they were keeping the records for approx 18 months after release then destroying them. The only part which in theory is kept longer are the gun records. They had in the past offered these AFV records to Bovington but the amount of room necessary to store them stopped Bovington accepting them.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Well done mate,at last something of interest,i like your use of later kit.how about a cummins v8 185,about the right era 3250rpm sound great flat out.best of luck.

I am sure the idea of electric fans has been tried but can you think of any lorry with electric fans? EM

I think the best was is to keep her original rad and fan setup and make them turn a little faster maybe , the best is just to try see how we go a smaller pully is no problem. But any ideas will be looked at. As fo the brakes i am going to look at air over hyd, as the malay saladins used saracen drums and had air packs off ivecos the same way. if i have a pas pump to do steering and a air pump might as well use it lol......

When i put the cummins in my old stalwart i used the daf pas pump and it made the steering lighter as the pump works at a slightly higher pressure.

dave

06.40 been on nights off to zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• 9 months later...
  • 6 years later...