Magazines - which ones do you get

Great War truck

It was the in-depth articles and the techinical data on the subjects at hand,coupled with some excellent photographs,from the archives,no matter what subject it was on.Barts knowledge was very impressive,un matched by anyone since.A far superior publication to the glossys we have now.But i wont complain too much,as its all we have

It was the in-depth articles and the techinical data on the subjects at hand,coupled with some excellent photographs,from the archives,no matter what subject it was on.Barts knowledge was very impressive,un matched by anyone since.A far superior publication to the glossys we have now.But i wont complain too much,as its all we have

Mark,

Agreed on all you say. Also as Tim says, the Readers Forum, Seen, Read and Heard, etc were all necessary reading. Bart's answers to any of our questions was factual and if he did not know the answer, he would say. This encouraged others to comment in later issues. In those day, pre-internet, this was the only real medium for collectors and enthusiast worldwide and through this I have got to know a lot of those people. The technical articles were second to none and often Bart would ask for information and details from official documents to back up his research on a forthcoming article, I recollect helping with info for a Morris Commercial article.

I managed to collect every issue of Wheels and Tracks.I know a few years back at W+P there was a stall selling every copy.Even thogh i had all of them,i still went along and bought some doubles.I was a bit amazed that when,the thread was put up on here regarding the BV award,awarded to Jack,that so few on here even knew who he was.It seems there are a lot on here very new to the MV world.

if he did not know the answer, he would say. This encouraged others to comment in later issues.

I suspect on many occasions he actually did know the answer, but as you say this encouraged others to comment. I remember doing so with a mystery RUC Commer APC, but I am convinced he knew the answer all the time.

I had the first 75% of the editions, but then discontinued it as I found the postwar content seemed to go down as time progressed, which seemed odd. Did anyone else think that? (Not trying to have one of those WW2/PW arguments, but the content balance between the two eras seemed to change)

Great thread Tim!

I don't get a alot of time to read many mags as I have my head in books mainly but I do get sent

CMV

Britain at War

Mud and Snow

I must add that Britian at War is non mv based has to be one of the best magazines on the UK market. The stories, articles and reports are thrilling and all British history too.....

Also have to add that I adore Mud and Snow - a fantastic clun magazine and would recommend that to everyone. It has a great 'feel' about it.

Like Tim I picked up Vehicules Militaire whilst in Normandy and look a great magazine and I will subscribe to that next week.

Interesting to note what Lord Burley said about folks not knowing about BV and that must be a reflection on how much young blood is coming into the movement and long may that continue.