Ward LE France

SPTA team

Question

Guys did the British use the WLF, I am trying to create a classic Military vehicle page to run with my Modern Military page on the Plain Military forum. I am useing all the pictures from this years and last years Plain invasion events plus various other shows. Jeeps and Jimmy I am sure were used but not sure about the WLFs.

TIA

Tony

19 answers to this question

Oh yes, three were landed by Force 135 on the 9th May 1945 as part of the Liberation of the channel Islands. there are many pictures of them removing ordnance from gun positions. One remained in the States of Jersey service till about 1969.

The one in Jersey, has a hard cab but no doors. Is that the type you mean? I think that the Sates put a cab with doors on it at one stage but it has been taken off when Sam Pallot got it. There is a photo of one with the crew, but do you think I can find it? The EP pictures show a roof, but I've never really studied it. They appear to be just a cover over the cab area, no doors but I can't tell if thay are canvas or metal.

Edited by Tony B

SPTA Tony,

If you look at the markings on my truck you'll see it's in Beach Group REME British colours. The markings were taken from a photo supplied to me by the REME museaum at Bordon, so yes, they certainly were used by us.

- Mike

None taken. When where you on the Rock then? Hope you will return in 2010. We have got to get them to restore it though. Acording to mark lamerton's Liberated by force 135, the bible for such things, the WLFs were operated by 24th Port Workshop REME.

Edited by Tony B

Hi Tony.

WLF in Africa during WWII - with our boys if Im not mistaken.

WLFsinNorthAfrica.jpg

Markheliops

PS - Tony - great pictures - any chance of firing them over to me. Thanks mate.

Edited by markheliops
pic req