Vaccum wipers

pop larkin

Ok, so I took the Chevy out today for its first run and it decided to rain on the way home. No problem I thought I'll put the wipers on. Now at idle and when cruising they're fine, but when the engine is under load (going up hill or accelerating) they stop. Is this normal with vaccum wipers or could I have a leak in the line somewhere or any other problems :???

thats normal you have to choose when you want to see and when you want to go ! just let up on the gas now and then and they will take off , at any steady speed you can use the valve on the wiper motor for some speed control but as soon as you accelerate they will stop in their tracks , as far as I know the only fix for that habit is to change the vaccum units for electric ones.

To help with the vision issue when the wipers are'nt moving it REALLY help to have some Rain-X on the Windshield or as You say over there the wind screen , It really works and keeps the rain on the glass in very small droplets that you can still see though and that the wind will push the drops off very nicely regardless if the wipers are moving or not .The rain will not sheet across the glass and drag behind the blade both of which make driving with those vaccum units more difficult

Edited by abn deuce

Never had the misfortune to possess anything fitted with the dreaded vacuum wipers but from all I've read and heard over the years they will do exactly what yours were doing . Rainex might help or might you be prepared to sacrifice some originality for a bit more safety & ditch the original motive power for electricity ?

Ok, so I took the Chevy out today for its first run and it decided to rain on the way home. No problem I thought I'll put the wipers on. Now at idle and when cruising they're fine, but when the engine is under load (going up hill or accelerating) they stop. Is this normal with vaccum wipers or could I have a leak in the line somewhere or any other problems :???

Perfectly normal the champ wipers will all but stop going up a slight incline

I forgot about Rain-X. I'll get some tomorrow for my journey to Buckfastleigh next weekend, then see about getting some electric motors. Can anyone recommend where I may find some small single electric wipers from? They are hiden in the roof cavity of the cab anyway so no one will see them.

Electric wipers from Frost's or any Land Rover salvage, you need series one, two ot twoA or Range Rover rear wipers. Back wiper motors off the older Metro also work. Obviously you need the direct drive type. The iother thing these are all twelve volt.