Division/Brigade markings

Ian Dunn

Hi All

Can anyone help me

I am trying to find the correct size for the old Division and Brigade patches that were on the front and rear of vehicles up until the 1970's

and also the colours for the RAOC (i think it may have been three vertical stripes red/blue/red

Thanks

Ian

Hi

I have found the artical in Windscreen and we were looking at summer2005 issue 107 page 19 bottom left ( RES4652)

i appears that the left patch(as you look at it) is a white 24 on 3 vertical stripes of Red / Blue /Red

by the way this is to go on a friends 1967 S2a 88" Landy

Do you attend any of our region meetings?

Ian

Here it is chapter & verse:

26/Publications/8760, Equipment Regulations 1959 Pamphlet No.9 Marking & Painting of Vehicles, Army Aircraft & Equipment. Ammendment 2/Jun/1960 Markings Applicable to All Vehicles.

Formation Signs

12. These will conform to the formation badges approved by the War Office for use on clothing.

13. Formation sign will not exceed 9 1/2 inches high by 8 1/2 inches wide. They will be displayed on the front and rear of all vehicles, except trailers where they will be displayed on the rear only and motorcycles which will bear no formation sign. The signs will be shown on the left front mudguard and the left side of the tailboard or in places corresponding as closely as possible to these positions.

In the case of saloon cars and limousines which are to be so marked, the signs will be mounted on detachable plates not exceeding 6 inches high by 5 inches wide

Unit Signs aprroximately 9 1/2 inches high and 8 1/2 inches wide will be displayed at the front and rear of all vehicles except trailers on which they will be displayed at the the rear only.

NATO signs where applicable were "in" by this time, but Formation Signs should have been "out" from 1977 on orders of CRAOC. (I have said should, because people will want to tell me of markings that still existed after that time)

Anyway I've got bored with typing for now. There was a 15 page article in Windscreen Summer 2000 covering most aspects of painting & marking vehicles. I'll send it to get it posted here eventually. :roll:

Look forwards to seeing that one!!!!

Dredging back the memory I seem to rcall that the vehicles in 215 Sqdn had a black square on the left with a tower in the middle whilst the right was either a blue over yellow or yellow over blue triangle surmounted by a white bar. Vehicles in 21 Regt - for obvious reasons - carried no markings at all other than the reg plate and maintenance stencils

Look forwards to seeing that one!!!!

Dredging back the memory I seem to rcall that the vehicles in 215 Sqdn had a black square on the left with a tower in the middle whilst the right was either a blue over yellow or yellow over blue triangle surmounted by a white bar. Vehicles in 21 Regt - for obvious reasons - carried no markings at all other than the reg plate and maintenance stencils

Yes, the black square sign was London District, it was a yellow castle type tower with a sword standing vertically through it. The RASC or RCT sign was blue and yellow diagonally with blue to the upper left.

Richard

on a similar line to all the above

Does anyone remember the Aldershot Garrison sign/Badge that was on all vehicles in the 70's and early 80's

this was a red and yellow tigers head (i am trying to get a picture to re-create the badge)

Ian

Does anyone remember the Aldershot Garrison sign/Badge that was on all vehicles in the 70's and early 80's

this was a red and yellow tigers head (i am trying to get a picture to re-create the badge)

Ian,

The tigers head was not Aldershot Garrison, it was South East District, which covered right down to Kent and Sussex. I think HQ was at Aldershot.

There was an Aldershot Garrison sign, which was a shield with I think a torch and crossed searchlight beams.

I have a presentation shield here with the SE Dist transfer on it, could scan it to you on an email. I best try it first to see if it will come out, or failing that, take a picture of it.

Richard

Another message off into cyberspace! Try again.

Re Cornwall MVT meetings. No I don't attend many, as my work system includes a Wednesday evening, which is when the meetings are. If I can I shall get up to Bodmin Railway this year,everyone says how good the show it is. Boconnoc steam railway is a good day out too.

Thanks Richard

I stand corrected

I used to live in the Aldershot area and joined 6/7 Queens TA in Farnham back in 1978 (i think)

I remember the sign on all vehicles in the area but that is all

A copy of it would be great if you can manage it

Thanks

Ian