FV numbers list

Rick W

Clive probably knows these off by heart. A link to a webpage listing all British Army vehicles using their FV numbers.[/url]

Some time ago I provided some of the pictures from manuals & some info. There are some things there I disagree with & particularly don't take the FV1600 descriptions as gospel. An interesting one is this "The first FV1611 vehicles that were used in Ulster were crewed by the RAC Parachute Squadron, who took to calling the vehicles 'Pig' as well, so the name stuck." He used to say they nicknamed it the 'Sow' initially then it got changed to "Pig". Well I spent this last weekend as I have done every year for 14 years with old comrades from the Para Sqn RAC. Given my pig tendacies I have regularly quizzed members about their vehicles & they assure me they did not use pigs, they used Ferrets & Saracens. This was confirmed by an article in Soldier in the 1970s.

On a historical note the first FV1611 used on the streets was issued to the RUC in 1962 to supplement their FV1609s issued in 1958.

If you talk to veterans of the Malayan Emergency they will tell you about Pigs, but to them it meant an armoured Bedford RL. The prototype pigs FV1609 were trialled in various places including Malaya. My belief is that the useage of the term pig then became assumbed by the Humber. David Fletcher once told me of a style of armoured lorry used in Malaya called 'The Bastard' which I assume was either unreliable, uncomfortable or both.

Edited by fv1620

If you talk to veterans of the Malayan Emergency they will tell you about Pigs, but to them it meant an armoured Bedford RL.

David Fletcher once told me of a style of armoured lorry used in Malaya called 'The Bastard' which I assume was either unreliable, uncomfortable or both.

Clive,

Before the armoured Bed RL in Malaya, they built similar armoured bodies on wartime CMP 3 tonners, either Ford or Chev, or both. So this might be what David F is refering to.

Richard

Richard, have you got any pictures of the bastards?

Just as well we are not on the old forum where that word was always autochanged to 'barman', which would be an even stranger name for a vehicle!