How do you get to write..

Rick W

Question

11 answers to this question

...a magazine article? Is it a question of who you know or what you know or something else...

Rick - the first thing I would advise is to call the editor and ask if they would like an article. It is the simplest thing in life and is easily overlooked and that is the simple thing of asking.

Most publications are desperate for decent content and would be more than happy to hear from you.

Feel the fear then do it anyway!!!

Write one for the front page & send it t Jack...:cool2:

Actually a very valid point. This is a great place to 'test' your skills and polish up on them. Snapper proof reads everything that goes up on the front page so no problems there.

Also bear in mind that this month we have had over 50,000 visitors - that is a massive potential readership - more than many magzines I would expect.

Most publications are desperate for decent content and would be more than happy to hear from you.

I wrote an article for the Ex Military Landrover Association (EMLRA) when i had my FFR, It was great seeing in print loads of old guff about my time in the mob driving the things and what we used to carry about etc.

Hopefully there isnt some poor misguided fool who based his lifes restoration work on my ramblings!!

They even had the decency not to hack it about or change it in its slightest, which i was surprised about, must of been short of words... or proof readers!

Edited by Marmite!!
text format

Actually a very valid point. This is a great place to 'test' your skills and polish up on them. Snapper proof reads everything that goes up on the front page so no problems there.

Also bear in mind that this month we have had over 50,000 visitors - that is a massive potential readership - more than many magzines I would expect.

Snapper reads it, then, sends you a lecture on grammar and punctuation, demands you right out 1,00000 times I must not use figures I must write numbers in full. All jokes aside , it is almost impossible to write an artical and not make some mistake. A decent proof reader is an essential tool. My advice is write the ideas as they come out of the brain first, then sit and make sense of them.

Snapper reads it, then, sends you a lecture on grammar and punctuation, demands you right out 1,00000 times I must not use figures I must write numbers in full. .

Yeah tell me about it Tony:argh: that said I have learnt shed loads from Snapper and would be a good idea Rick to catch up with Snap.

True Jack, but that is another thing that brings this forum above the rest. Any article is properly edited, checked and presented (Even if you do have to edit (well, censor some) my reviews :-D) Why shouldn't more mebers write articales? We all have a good genral knowledge and our specialitys, I've learnt from everyone. I've learnt a lot from Snapper to, it has made a very practical diffrence, presenting written argumants and memos at work, filling in job applications. Bot hel;ping spelling much though. :cry: go for it Rick, only incovenicing a few electrons.

I agree with all this. Write an article for the website. It will reach plenty of people. Keep writing - you'll find your best ideas come at the most inconvenient moments. I learned from a formal course at IPC Magazines and then did the rest myself. My rules are simple: Be economic with your wording. But you must get everything down. Don't worry about it - just make notes. Try and find a few sentences that you can gel the rest around. Ignore repetition. Take my word for it, it is not easy. Ignore the Microsoft Word green squiggle.

Let it flow and worry about tidying up afterwards.

MB