Restoration Projects.

Jack

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, looking great Jack. Don't you love just love that military grade paint? That stuff is tough and full of lead too. My truck has about 7 to 8 layers of it :shock:.

Here are a couple of photos of my truck. I still haven't taken it on the road because my license plates stil haven't arrived after about two and a half months. Good old California for you :roll:.

10-31-05_002.jpg

10-31-05_003.jpg

10-31-05_004.jpg

That was fun taking the tailgate so I can sandblast it :?.

10-31-05_005.jpg

How do you like the cork in the tail pipe? Keeps the critters out.

My truck, as you can probably tell, is a Norwegian return. They sure did take care of it. I believe it was Corné Lauwerijssen who said he saw my truck before it was brought back here to the US about a year ago.

HI Nick.

As I was just looking throught your pictures and saw the interior of your cab, I thought to myself that this truck is Norwegian as the flaking paint in the cab is exactly the same as mine.......doesn't seem to like sticking to the gloss underneath.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks to me Bill as it was sprayed on as I cannot find any brush strokes but I can see that inside the cab they didn't key the previous coat so it is just peeling off.

Mark, I used 80 grit everywhere except on the bonnet where I used 240 as there was only two layers on there :shock:

Hi Bill,

On most ex Norwegian trucks I have seen(both GMC and Dodge) it looks more like the paint was put on with a trowl! on one Dodge I swear the paint was half an inch thick :shock:

Extra armor maybe?

Matt.

Hi Bill,

On most ex Norwegian trucks I have seen(both GMC and Dodge) it looks more like the paint was put on with a trowl! on one Dodge I swear the paint was half an inch thick :shock:

Extra armor maybe?

Matt.

Matt,

I agree. On my 353 the top coat looks like it was put on with a mop. Next spring it comes off with a sand blaster.

Bill

Hi all

Just some pictures from my restoration/struggle

The first one is what I was using this year for the rallies,

MyJeep001.jpg

This is the stage I am at now as you can see there is not a lot of room to move, as is the same for most of us I imagine.

mOUSE001.jpg

mOUSE002.jpg

Just changing the fluids in the gear box and transfer box, by the look of the colour it has not been done since 1952 :shock:

mOUSE006.jpg

Had to put the gear oil in with a syringe, :( silly place to put a fill hole :!:

mOUSE009.jpg

mOUSE007.jpg

Anyway that is it at the moment I hoe to have it ready for next year, but as you do a little bit more there is always that saying "Well as I am going this far might as well do that bit while I am here" :?

It was not in a bad condition, driveable with a little work i.e. bolt the body down on the chassis tight etc. History wise not a lot, I was told it was an M38A1 :D BUT :( upon more digging and finding things on there that are not quite right, I think it is either an M606 :?: or a CJ5M (military) which the Swiss brought in the 50's instead of the M38A1's because of the cost, these were jeeps in a military style to keep the cost down but using I think some civilian parts. It looks the part which is good enough for me but you still get the rivet counters saying "it's not this and it's not that blah, blah.

So if anyone out there can help identify it please do, as of writing this I have yet to find any number on it apart from the engine number which dates that to 1953 :?:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so today I have cleaned out/organised/rearranged my garage/workshop as and I am going to strip down my GMC over the winter and get it up to scratch for next year so it will now be off the road for a fair few months :cry: ............but it will come out looking good next year. I also intend to convert it to 12v while I am at it 8)

................just think, next year I will have real GREEN truck :shock:

Well, I tried sanding the bed but I wasn't able to do a very good job due to the loops and corners so I decided to sandblast it. I went to the local hardware store and bought a roll of painter's plastic and I covered up the whole truck except for the bed. It is working great.

sandblast.jpg

THe picture is a little dark but it gives you an idea of what I did.

I'll give them a light sand job to knock off any loose paint but they are in very good condition. The paint is think and it looks like someone (maybe the Norwegian Army) sprayed an undercoating underneath. THe undercoating has done a great job of preserving the bottom and the mechanicals.

Thanks Ashley :D I WILL TRY MY BEST BUT HAVE GOT A VERY SHORT ATTENTION SPAN :shock: PROBABLY END UP PAINTING IT RED, BUT GOD FORBID DRIVING AROUND IN A RED WAGON :wink: IT MUST BE SOOOOOO EMBARASSING :oops: I WOULD HAVE TO GET IT DONE QUICKLY