what gun do i need?

Please can someone advise me on the gun that would have been used in my pig?

I have posted this question before, but was lost in the crash and cant remember what im looking for.

It is a Mk2 ambulance pig and im going for a 1970's in service look.

Chances are the pig itself wouldn't've been fitted with any weaponry if it was fitted out as an ambulance; personal weapons for the crew would most likely have been the SMG, or possibly, although not very likely, the SLR; medical personnel were then (as now) only allowed weapons for personal protection.

Hope the above helps. If not, I dare say someone'll pop up after the weekend with definitive info :)

Someone will probably correct me - but as far as I am aware - it is against the Geneva Convention for any vehicle marked up as an ambulance to be fitted with mounted weapons as they are classed as non-combatant vehicles. Crew were allowed personal side arms for their own protection only. Not sure if this included SMG's but they were allowed to carry pistols.

Markheliops

Someone will probably correct me - but as far as I am aware - it is against the Geneva Convention for any vehicle marked up as an ambulance to be fitted with mounted weapons as they are classed as non-combatant vehicles. Crew were allowed personal side arms for their own protection only. Not sure if this included SMG's but they were allowed to carry pistols.

Markheliops

Perfectly correct, sir. Also, afaik they were allowed SMGs for self protection; I've certainly seen 'em carrying the damn things on exercises!

I haven't got my copy of the Soldiers Guide to the conventions to hand at this time (I'm at my other half's home this weekend!), but as soon as I get back, I'll check it - it's the correct version (with tick test form at the back), so the answer shold be definitive :)

Right, apologies for the delay; This is from:

Army Code 71130

D/DAT/13/35/6b

The law Of Armed Conflict

Partial Extract, Page 15:

4 b (1) Protection from attack is given to fixed and mobile medical units and to medical transport eg ambulances. However there are circumstances in which misuse may result in such protection being forfeited. The possession of small arms for self protection and the treatment of civilian wounded and sick appear in the list of acts which do not forfeit protection"

So, yes, an L2A3 SMG would fit the bill :)

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Redcap
spelling, and I forgot something!

An ambulance driver will carry his personal weapon, whatever it might be. Any NCO would carry an SMG. In the RAC, Regimental Medical Assistants regardless of rank would carry an SMG, as would any other member of the regiment apart from assault troops (SLR) and senior officers (Browning 9mm pistol).

A RMA serving in an infantry company in the rank of Pte (Rfn, etc) might carry an SLR.

It would be an unusual set of circumstances where anybody might validly pull you up for incorrectly carrying an SMG as an ambulance crewman (unless perhaps you were carrying it with the muzzle to the shoulder and pointing the butt at the target).

Furthermore, in 1982 I commanded a Samaritan as a one-off. Because my personal weapon was an SMG, it's what I carried. Had I been in Surveillance Troop and normally carried an SLR, I'd have crewed the Samaritan with an SLR. That's just how it is.

Edited by AlienFTM
more stuff