Happy Old Iron

Rick W

I might be being a bit bold saying that, but as it said it was of 1917 manufacture, it could only have got to France by being left behind by the AEF. The signal corps used this model. Alternatively, it could have been recently bought by the dealer directly from the USA. It would be interesting to read the provenance of it. Here is a restored example:

Republic.jpg

There's one Republic in Finland as well, today its owned by the Historic Truck's Club. The model is Republic 20, heaviest 3.5 ton model, made in 1920. They were assembled at the same site in Helsinki by SOK (Suomen Osuuskauppojen Keskuskunta, ie. S-Group to put it shortly: http://www.s-kanava.fi/valtakunnallinen_en/sryhma_artikkeli?aid=Sryh_Sryhmanesittely_0000__s_ska_basicarticle2_01168.xml&nodeid=Sryh_Sryhmanesittely_0000__s_ska_basicarticle2_01168.xml&exp=true ) where later in the same area the Sisu "factory" was created in the early 30's. In total SOK assembed 57 Republic's. This one was saved after it was recovered under the ground of a junk yard, on 1958. It was quickly restored, and as I have read, its perhaps the only survivor of that model in such condition.

I think its really funny, that my biggest customer which is SOK's daughter company, has their premises at the same exact place today (SOK is 100 years old company), SOK assembled the Republic's for they own subsidiaries in the old days at the same spot! And thats also the place where Sisu truck company was born! Its weird that things from the past I'm interested of, meet today in this same exact place. Nowdays SOK has nothing to do with trucks, its mainly a supermarket chain (btw, they never had anything to do with Sisu).

Here's a link to the Historic Club's website, some Republic photos are showing on the right side of the page: http://www.vetku.fi/content/view/23/173/

6796942-big.jpg

Edited by Sisu

Tim, you get the answer in few days. I remember some tricks they were using, but I have to get my books before I post anything stupid here ;) I guess you already know the answers ;)

Meanwhile, you could keep us updated and post more photos of your project!! :)

Cedric

Tim, you get the answer in few days. I remember some tricks they were using, but I have to get my books before I post anything stupid here ;) I guess you already know the answers ;)

Cedric

I dont think i do. I dont think that we would take ours out in such weather. In fact, judging by this countrys highways, i wouldnt even be able to get to it if it snowed.

Tim (too)