Trandum, Norway 09-11.05.2008

Just a brief report from Trandum and a meeting that is still going on. We just dropped by yesterday to check it out. I looked thru my photos and they all look very similar to my previous photos, so this is the last thread with this huge amount of photos I'll post from this meeting. Later on I'll just post the rarer stuff, but with the problems with the forum and all, it might be ok with these photos.

We checked in at about 2 o'clock with entry number 110 - 111 & 112. That's one '44 Ford and two '42 Dodges.

We started the day with a tire that ran flat in a rather desolated area, but after changing the tires we could continue out journey.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

Marty

Edited by martylee

and here's a couple very nice campers.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Marty

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 9 seconds.

What is this crap?

And max 10 photos in each post? We'll all be generals in a moment... This is what I get for being efficient?

A few of the post ww2 vehicles.

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

And I'm quite sure there were several Vollvo 3314 there, but I didn't even think about taking their picture. They are way too common these day, nice vehicle though!

Marty

And now the Dodges...

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

I think this is the meeting I've been to that had the most Dodges. Must have been about 10 WC51/52s, 3-4 WC62s and about 5-6 WC54s. Not bad!

Marty

Edited by martylee

I was wondering about that pair of photo's of the 6x6 truck parked along the road how the middle axle tire was buried in the dirt , did it suffer a drive line problem ?

I'm not sure what happened to it. It certainly looks parked...

After all it's the training area for the cavalery we're driving in.

Marty

What do you think about this one?

IMG_0840.jpg

I had a chat with the owner. He and his girlfriend had restored it together. They had found USAF color and marking beneath the paint and decided to go for it. They said that the woodworks wasn't original, but since it looked o good they decided to keep it unpainted. The paint is also a bit brighter, but in a few years that won't be a problem.

I really liked it and their thoughts on it.

Marty

Having said that this was the cavalery training grounds there a few things around that dates back to the war. There's a tunnel for testing cannons.

IMG_0883.jpg

And during the war the germans also killed 173 norwegians, 6 britons and 15 russions in these woods. Several witout trial. These are buried around in the woods, so you might run into places that have crosses. There's also a monument as the photos show.

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

Marty

Marty

Having said that this was the cavalery training grounds there a few things around that dates back to the war. There's a tunnel for testing cannons.

And during the war the germans also killed 173 norwegians, 6 britons and 15 russions in these woods. Several witout trial. These are buried around in the woods, so you might run into places that have crosses. There's also a monument as the photos show.

IMG_0890.jpg

Marty

Marty

Marty you always post good stuff. With the above image why were this people executed?

Marty you always post good stuff. With the above image why were this people executed?

I guess why is always the big question!

But here's the story for you. This went on in the periode 1941-1944. 136 of the norwegians were executed for illegal work and 37 were executed without any sentence. 2 were executed for "the Televaag incident", where two Gestapo soldiers were shot during an attempt of escape to England. Some of the people killed were suspected of blowing up a transport train in the city of Mjondalen.

The russians executed were escaped prisoners and 5 of the british were commandoes from the gliders that made a emergency landing while preparing the assault on Rjukans heavy water factory. The 6th R.P. Evans were everly wouned during the failed attempt to attack Tirpitz in november 1942. He was left behind since they believed that he would be treated as a prisoner since he was in english uniform. What happened was that the germans brought him to a hospital and nursed him till he was well. Then they took him into the woods and shot him. Makes perfect sense doesn't it!?

Oscar Hans was the man behind all these and what is really scary is that all the soldiers volenteered for this executions, since it was an honor to kill these patriots. This all went on in secret. There was curfew at the camp when the prisoners were shot. Actually it was a german soldier who sneaked out out and found out about this. He told some norwegians who kept it secret until the war was over. Thanks to the information from this soldiers they found the graves and got hold of Oscar Hans.

After the war they found the rest of the execution squad and they were sentenced to death by hanging since they had volunteered for this duty. Oscar hans was part of the military chain of command so he was only imprisoned a short while.

I hope this answers your question Jack. It's a ugly story, but I'm glad you asked.

Marty

Here's a few off-road photos. Didn't take that many since I was busy driving myself.

It's always those crowds with jeeps that cause the traffic to jam.

IMG_0848.jpg

Finally we got going.

IMG_0850.jpg

But then again the jeeps stopped to do something...

IMG_0854.jpg

A photo taken on the run, which shows you what the condition was like.

IMG_0852.jpg

A series of a jeep playing. (My friend and neighbour)

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Marty