My Half Track

thedawnpatrol

Hi Guys

Finally got back on line after loosing you a while back,

My question is:- Owning an M3 is great fun and always turns heads, but it is damm expensive to drive or low load to shows, last year i paid £400 to take it to Beltring & back!

plus the fuel driving it around the arena.

Anyway, who can tell me the implications of me buying a low loader and driving it myself?

what should I look for, remember she weighs 9 tonnes! will I need to get an HGV ?

what advise can anyone give ?

Cheers

Jules

DCP_4706.jpg

As I understand it you will need to get a C+E (old HGV-1) license.

Then you will need to buy a tractor and trailer suitable for the size (length and width) of the Half-Track.

The tractor and trialer will need to be tested/plated very year and you may need to pay commercial rate of road tax - not sure if the Private HGV class covers this.

It can be an expensive option - depends on how many shows/how far you want to go to each....

One of our halftracks has a dedicated transporter which is a former John Smiths beer dray. It's a 12 tonne capacity 2-axle Volvo F-something-or-other converted to a beavertail body. Cost under £4k all in. You only need a class C licence to drive it. Tax is Private HGV at normal car rate unless you want to use it commercially as well. It will have to be plated and tested as a normal truck.

Remember though that even with the cost of fuel and the £1 a mile you'll be putting aside for new tracks, it's probably still cheaper to just drive the halftrack than buy and run the truck as well. And much more fun.:cool:

nb. the advantages of the truck over the halftrack are reliability, speed, quietness, smoothness of ride and fuel economy. But if you like halftracks you're probably unlikely to be bothered by any of these!

- Mike

Edited by TooTallMike

A friend of mine runs a steam roller and eventually gave in a bought a half share in an artic low loader with a fellow enthusiast . On the up side he can now go to whatever shows he wants - work limitations permitting .He also , from time to time , moves the odd engine or vehicle as a commercial venture , which helps to offset some of the running costs . On the down side , he has found that he really needs to be using it a whole lot more as all the problems he has had with unit & trailer have stemmed from bits seizing from lack of use . Every year come HGV test time if it fails it is invariably because of that rather than parts wearing out - as with all vehicles which stand around doing nowt too long .