P-47N Thunderbolt New Scheme

Jessie The Jeep

I've just finished respraying my P-47 after nine years in its original post war scheme. It was getting a little tatty around the edges, so after its winter overhaul, which also involved replacing several hinges and re-plumbing the fuel system, I decided to brighten it up with a change of colour.

The original was the red cowl version, an Army Air Force recruiting aid after so many had left the forces immediately after the war. The new scheme is based on a Pacific aircraft, though the nose art is fictional to match Lynne's A-2 flight jacket. While the artwork is fictional, Woody Woodpecker was created in 1941, so I feel justified in using him on a late war aircraft.

The model is 1/6 scale, spanning 7 feet, weighs 21 pounds at take off, and is powered by a 40cc 3.7HP electronic ignition 2-stroke petrol engine turning a 20x10 propeller at about 7,000RPM in the air.

Steve

old_P47N1.jpg

old_P47N2.jpg

new_P47N1.jpg

new_P47N2.jpg

new_P47N3.jpg

You need insurance to fly anything, but large models over 20Kg take off weight must be inspected during the build. Once the build inspections are complete, then both pilot and plane must pass a proficiency scheme of so many flights in front of an examiner before being granted an exemption to fly by the CAA.

Steve

....Be nice to do some photo's with similar scale RC tanks and vehicles.

At the Wheels and Wings show in York last year, there were several 1/6 scale R/C vehicles on display. Here's a few pics. I think you need deep pockets to afford the tanks, much as in real life!

rc6.jpg

rc17.jpg

rc7.jpg

rc1.jpg

Steve