Tarpaulins

Topdog

My Ferret stays out in all weathers on the front lawn (understanding wife) and it is covered in an old lorry tarp. This is getting a bit tatty now and letting too much water. Does anyone know of a good source for a replacement. Not that keen on plastic as it does not last and makes too much noise when its windy.

Cheers Dave

Some of ours have come from boot fairs. Very cheap. We use ex-army decontamination tents (slit accordingly), and then cover those with cheap plastic tarps. This keeps some of the U.V damage down, and the top sheets are easily replaced. Decontamination tents are difficult to find and quite expensive. Make damn good vehicle covers though. Very tough material.

Two suggestions - there is a supplier who sells on ebay - Carter & Sons - they can supply all sizes of genuine canvas tarpaulins and are very helpful if you e mail or phone . I've also bought a couple of heavy duty polytarps from a supplier down in Pompey - Northern Tool : they aren't cheap but they do a pretty comprehensive range of sizes and typres of sheet .

another possible solution would be to buy a complete MJ Bedford canvas set (one as new condition on milweb £200.00) and hoops to erect over it, the hoops would possibly have to be extended to get more height which would leave an air gap around the bottom, not a bad thing re condensation.

You may even be able to drive out and leave it behind and also be able to lift any part for access without uncovering the whole thing.

I fitted one to my Explorer to protect the timber work etc and it has lasted at least 5 years, getting a bit tatty on top now though, looks non standard but then so does moss!

Decontamination tents are difficult to find and quite expensive. Make damn good vehicle covers though. Very tough material.

Each to his own - I prefer mobile laundry tents myself :whistle:

Problem is, tarp sections are quite small. Wouldn't be surprised if it is same material.