Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

I've been knocking about this site for a few weeks now and it has inspired me to dig out my old 'in service' pig photos from the loft. Some may be a bit grainy or will have been taken out of my various end of tour magazines. I will add more as time permits. I hope they will be of value to anybody currently doing one up or who already owns one.

AL

Photos left to right top to bottom:

28BK63 + ? Training vehicles

28BK63 Training vehicle

13BK45 Ambulance, Belfast

11BK15 Belfast

Army 2.jpg

Army 15.jpg

Army 26.jpg

Army 25.jpg

Edited by NEWCOMER

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pig pool ((fllying pigs) not just used for riot situations but used for screening/blocking off narrow streets etc.

Two 'wendy houses' chucked in for good measure. Note the blast proof bodies on the back and reinforcement to the front and top of the cabs, also meshed covers to the windscreen, which were operated by tugging on a piece of rope fed through the roof...all very technical!

Army 30.jpg

Edited by NEWCOMER
Add more info

Came across an old certificate I forgot I had...amazing what I'd forgoten about burried away. Few people actually do this course at the school of mechanical transport, I think there was about 10 of us on this particular one, who then went back and had to show everybody else.

I remember they had half an aircraft hanger full of pigs in various states of evolution, engines cut in half to show inner workings etc. I know it consisted of several days theory, several days practical, then we were allowed to drive around yorkshire in them in convoy.

I remember passing Ian Botham on his sponsored walk thing he was doing then. We pulled over just in front of them, all piled out of the backs and topped his bucket up with all our loose change!

Army 33.jpg

Some more in service photos:

From left to right top to bottom:

1. Unknown

2. 27BK73 (Tappit adjustment REME workshops!)

3. Most men on a pig record!

4. Unknown

5. 28BK17? + 13BK45

6. 31BK32

Army 34.jpg

Army 35.jpg

Army 36.jpg

Army 37.jpg

Army 38.jpg

Army 39.jpg

Edited by NEWCOMER
Add info

Great photo's must be from the 60's and 70's

Don't let the quality of the photos fool you these are all from 1989/1990, however they have been scanned from my own tour magazines (cheap in house publications that were produced by the admin office as a souvenier for all serving participants at the end of tour duty.)

See... why have a big fancy medal or ribbon when a photocopied home bound collection of snap shots does the trick...just kidding!

I've blacked out the faces of some of my colleagues myself as I have lost touch with them and there is a small possibility that some are still serving.

Glad you liked the photos though...

AL

Edited by NEWCOMER

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Well done again,nice fresh info.surprised clive hasnt commented,maybe he is doing his tappets.:-D

surprised clive hasnt commented,maybe he is doing his tappets.:-D

Hello CW actually I've been trying to untangle my futchells from my swingletree, next Windscreen will explain that I hope. AL nice pictures, good to see pictures of pigs without flags. Been trying to get 2 Humbers ready for the season with particular emphasis on trying(!) to stop leaks. In case there is any doubt:

PigCertCpl.jpg

In case there is any doubt:

Hello Clive, no doubt at all...well in....

How come your's has got a nice fancy trim and mines all bland, also by the time I came to do the course it looks like they knocked of the 'maintain' bit?.... not to mention yours is bigger! b***** cut backs!

Kind Regards

AL

Edited by NEWCOMER

Hello Clive, no doubt at all...well in....

How come your's has got a nice fancy trim and mines all bland, also by the time I came to do the course it looks like they knocked of the 'maintain' bit?.... not to mention yours is bigger! b***** cut backs! Kind Regards AL

Al did you get a training manual on the course? I don't know who wrote it but they seemed to have a limited knowledge (putting it politely). As it said the Pig:

Came into service 1945-47

Was an 'A' Vehicle

Had a 'B' vehicle recovery truck version

Was used for Swingfire(!) missiles

Served in Korea

Shows x-sectional pictures of the 4-cylinder engine, although it does say not Humber. But it's not difficult to get the proper diagrams!

Edited by fv1620
Speeling mistack

You have come up the ranks in a short time, Corporal in 1987.........

Nothing wrong with being a corporal, we all had to start somewhere. Well look at Hitler he was a corporal before he promoted himself.

Al did you get a training manual on the course?/quote]

Hello again Clive,

I don't believe I did, I do remember all my course notes and handouts got ruined in MFO storage back in Germany whilst I was on this tour. The cellers of our accomodation block got flooded and most of my kit and others was ruined... not a happy bunny at the time. The only reason I've still got the certificate was becuase it was posted through to admin after I had already left on advance party, got given it when I got back!

My memory might be a bit sketchy now but I seem to recall the following:

First came into service in the 1930's...

Sold off later... farmers snapped them up because they made good tractors...

Start of the troubles in 1969 British Army were caught short for a suitable vehicle to use as an APC..

Most purchased back and armour plated to 7 ton 14 kiloweight..though still on the original designed 1 ton braking system...

Never start off in second gear as this could put undue strain on your half shafts, though top speed in first gear was about 2 mph if I recall?!

Had a tendency to back fire which would put the frightners up any new 'Top Cover' who fought they were being shot at...

As for recovery vehicles never seen one... always used to self recover with other pigs... hence the more observent will always notice photos of in service pigs on the road with 'D' shakle and chains slung around the front P**** Basher.

As for rockets never Heard of it before, but saw some interesting pics on this thread...go back a few pages.

Since they replaced the pig with the saxon I wonder what they did with all the kit they had at Leconsfield. Probably sitting around somewhere collecting dust. I bet if you sent a letter to the CO of Normandy Barracks there will be stuff up for grabs?:idea:

Edited by NEWCOMER

AL quite a few points there to comment on. But to do it justice to the subject hope the boys can sort the link to this article:

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/TheEarlyHumberPigs.pdf

There never was a recovery truck, but I have the design document dated I think 1948 for a Humber recovery truck FV1606. But it was never built.

The Hornet launcher (FV1620) fired Malkara & I have one in the sheds. Funny you should mention backfiring I have split the siliencer & need to weld that up, before its first show in 4 weeks!

Hello CW actually I've been trying to untangle my futchells from my swingletree, next Windscreen will explain that I hope. AL nice pictures, good to see pictures of pigs without flags. Been trying to get 2 Humbers ready for the season with particular emphasis on trying(!) to stop leaks. In case there is any doubt:

PigCertCpl.jpg

Whats wrong with flags then Clive ?

Oh well if you want it to be like an in service vehicle then fair enough but I'm proud of my flags and they can brighten up a wet and windy field at War and Peace ! My answer would be post lots of your own pics then to strike a balance ! No offence ! ! ! Andy F