North American Aviation's Finest - Reborn in East Anglia

M5Clive

Thought that those who attended Bolero would appreciate a photo update of the latest work

of art to emerge from the workshop of my neighbour - Maurice Hammond

width=640 height=425http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/suzannewitton/DSC_0073.jpg[/img]

The quality of workmanship on this project has to be seen to be believed..........

width=640 height=425http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/suzannewitton/DSC_0079.jpg[/img]

Suzanne looks on in awe!!

width=640 height=962http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/suzannewitton/DSC_0075.jpg[/img]

Not a thing out of place in the hot seat either........!

width=640 height=962http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/suzannewitton/DSC_0081.jpg[/img]

(One for Jack, The founder of the MH Appreciation Society) - The man himself!

Doesn't look like the prototypical type of aircraft restorer, professional display pilot and owner of

two P-51 Mustang's, AT-6 Harvard, PT-17 Stearman and Auster spotter aircraft does he?

The only person who will truly know the answer to that is pictured in the photograph above!

As a matter of interest, on the Monday afternoon after Operation Bolero, Maurice called me and asked me to pop down for a coffee. He thought the Bolero convoy and visit to his airstrip at Hardwick was "One of the best days they had ever had up the airfield" and commented that the Bolero attendees round of applause that was warmly given when he landed-in after the buzz-job was humbling. "I've never had a reception quite like it" was the words used!

I do have plans to feature Maurice in even greater interaction with the Military Vehicles in the next Operation Bolero, probably 2009 or 2010 - I've not yet decided!

As for the above P-51, this is painted up as an aircraft that flew with the 339th Fighter Group, Eighth Air Force, from Fowlmere, located a couple of miles to the West of Duxford Airfield in Cambridgeshire.

Although a large proportion of the aircraft is newly built, the restoration is based around the wreckage that Maurice purchased of an original 339th aircraft, called Marinell, and crashed in France in 1944. The wing section is now currently in his workshop being fitted-out, just down the road from my house, and the fuselage, as you can see, is completed and now transfered to the airfield in Norfolk.

It is hoped that the first test flight of Marinell will take place before the year is out.

[

(One for Jack, The founder of the MH Appreciation Society) - The man himself!

Yes good to see Maurice again and yes I am indeed the founding member of the MHAS. I have kept a low profile on the Society as the membership is massive and we feel it is best to keep it to ourselves for the time being - which reminds me that I must get another batch of photograpes signed by 'M' ( as we, the members, know him by).

We are in the middle of negotiations with a major toy manufacturer with a view a producing some Maurice Hammond's dolls made for Christmas 2008 - I will keep you posted. I think it will be big.

He just seems like an unassuming bloke you'd ignore in the street. Not a mouthy flash git like the MHAS founder. Mantrucker could be rhyming slang, Jack me boy. Ho Ho. I'll never forget that afternoon with Maurice. It was kind of surreal, with you lot, Chicago George and so many other people there. A classic to treasure. Keep going, Clive - I'll need another fix soon. 2009 would be good because I'll be fifty that year and need a birthday treat. Mean time I'm off for some running repairs.

MB

The only person who will truly know the answer to that is pictured in the photograph above!

Maurice is a quiet unassuming character. The first anyone tends to know about future plans/projects is when you see them in the workshop. But he doesn't less moss gathered under his feet, thats for sure.

2009 would be good for me, but would all the antics in Normandy that year detract from another succesful Operation Bolero?

Maurice told me on Saturday that the wing is now painted so I'm sure it will be at the hangar soon.

Regarding the 'hot seat', I can see one thing out of place..... Mind you, we have one in the RV-9 and it's a great bit of kit!

What is a RV-9? :dunno:

Regarding the 'hot seat', I can see one thing out of place..... Mind you, we have one in the RV-9 and it's a great bit of kit!

Adrian - you are going to have to give us a clue......I was looking around for GPS :dunno: :whistle:

First prize to Jack. Though sounds like a lucky guess! :whistle:

Maurice has a Skyforce GPS fitted up under the gunsight. It's the black box with the blue strip round it. I would imaging it hinges down for use as the screen is on the underside in the pic.

It has a colour moving map and they are really good to use.

Jack, you win........ a trip in something! Could be the Sherman or could be the RV-9, you choose.