WW1 tank Ashford, Kent, modern pic, needed.

Rick W

Rick,

The MkIV Female is still in the same position it was parked in, in 1919. The only remaining one given to towns around the country after WW1. Reason it did not get moved or go for scrap in WW2 is that it was used to house an electric substation right up until around the Seventies. Unforunatley the floor was cut out and the rear of the hull was modified to fit access doors. It was in St. Georges Square and was an island in the road, I remember sliding off my motorcycle by it, many years ago! In 1987, a roof shelter was put up over it, to try and preserve it. A couple of years ago I was able to inspect it inside with view to being involved in some conservation work on it, chiefly to seal it and reproduce the correct appearance where the doors had been fitted at the rear. The photos show it in the 1970's in all green, then second photo is after 2RTR team came and painted it and third photo is in Dec 1987 with building work in progress prior to the shelter being erected. Present day photos are obstructed by the shelter somewhat.

Ashford is rather unique in having two armoured vehicles on display, the other is a FV432 on a roundabout in the exact location of what was the main gate to the REME Command Workshop, which closed in 1996 (where I worked for many years).

Richard

No doubt Mike Stallwood of RR's bid the council for it as its on his patch :-D

:-D :-D :-D :-D no doubt !

Actually it would not have survived moving. While I was at REME in Ashford, it was surveyed for the council, who wanted to move it. It was found that it would have broken up without having some sort of framework built and fixed inside. All due to its convertion to the sub-station. On inspecting it inside recently,there are stress cracks in the hull, brought on by rust between the plates. It is now an historic monument, hence why it has finally been given some shelter and attention.

Richard