Strange and bizzarre creations of WW1..

Rick W

on the Charron I have these details

Charron, Girardot et Voigt (C.G.V.) 1903 first fully AC in France,disc wheels,box hull,bevel front,rear-mounted turret, carried troughs to cross obstacles, several sold to Russia.

detail's from the Encyclopedia of Armoured Cars.

What about this creature then!

width=400 height=214http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/tzartank.jpg[/img]

Apparently Russias first tank design. Dated 1918 for the Russian Revolution and constructed by a captain Lebedenko and nicknamed the "Tsar Tank". It was actually made and put to trial. Unfortunately the only thing it destroyed was a tree before the back wheel got bogged down. It weighed 40T, powered by two 240 Hp engines and mounted a gun on each side, the wheel radius was 9 metres. It may look insane but it would cross a shell holed battlefield relatively easily, and if you think about it only a direct hit on the centre hubs would have stopped it. The height of the guns would have given it a considerable advantage too. Stands in as the worlds biggest tank construction.

width=640 height=640http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/tank13.jpg[/img]

I think there was an article done on this in "Wheels and Tracks"? that it was left for a number of years before being dismantaled if I recall . Interesting colorized photo never saw that before.

It was left for a number of years where it got stuck presumably, and was dismantled in 1923. The photo is off a modelmakers website! Sshh!

As for the half track idea being sold to the Czar, you may be right I dont know, Iv only just discovered this odd side of the world of HMV's! But from what I can gather there was a lot of touting going on around this. Post WW1 everyone being a bit paranoid, Russian Revolution, franco Prussian war?

I like the russian super heavy, it looks like a well tooled up shipping container! paint it blue and put a white star and Maersk on the side, clandestine tank!

It would be easy to replicate, get a battered 432 and put a shipping container on it...voila!!

width=600 height=168http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/super_heavy_tank_of_vd_mendeleev_mo.jpg[/img]

Rick, the Franco Prussian war was July 1870 to May 1871. One result was that a European arms race ensued. Autocars were the latest technology. The French had the occupation of Paris, the loss of Alsace, Lorraine, and the fine imposed by Prussia to avange, plus the growth of a strong enemy next door. So they went into the development of vehicles for military use.

Kegresse worked for the Czar and designed and built half tracks for the Czar's use.

Hi all,

going back to another thread Kegresse was the company who designed a small wire controlled tracked demolition vehicle, but threw it into a lake when the germans invaded. The Germans heard about the design recovered the vehicle modified it and launched it as the Goliath.

Ashley