GMC Workshop to Clubmobile conversion

mick.wilson

I was going to reserve my comments for the finished article, but wow! that looks great! I hope I can see it in the flesh sometime.

I take it you will be serving Tea, Coffee and food at the shows!!! ( Discount to HMVF members of course! )

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve.

Yup, tea, coffee and doughnuts !! Maybe other things, but that would depend on what show it was. We also serve soup when we provide support for the Screaming Eagles training days.

Discount ........ discount :oops:

We always ask for a one off fee from fellow re-enactors, but then it looks good with a load of GI's standing around the wagon enjoying a nice cuppa.

But then again, we don't discriminate against the AXIS forces. :lol:

Alas, she won't be ready for our first show next week but still hoping to have her up and running for the Prelude to D-Day event at the end of May.

Cara

x

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, stunning work guys, really can't wait to see this project when it is done.

.......got a dougnut machine yet 8)

Was looking into one, but I think I have spent enough money already. :oops:

Have you seen the prices of the doughnut machines ? :oops: Any donations welcome :lol:

Cara

x

Great project!

Here's a pic you might not (but probably) have seen yet:

41409110.jpg

Source: http://www.ullsteinbild.de

Image number: 41409110

ullstein - Roger Viollet

Date: 01.01.1944

Image size: 3241x4361 Pixel

World War II. Front of Normandy, 1944. Landing of equipment of the American Red Cross.

Regards,

Hanno

Nice picture,

Thanks Hanno, don't think I have seen this one before.

Cara

x

Hi Cara and Mick,

I too am following the buildup of your Clubmobile. And I'm as in awe as everybody else on the pace your keeping. Super job!

But, can I be a little sour-puss? Shouldn't the cutout above the rear wheels be a bit longer? I feel by looking at pictures that the cutout came all out to the outer edges of the tires? Maybe it would be easier to fix now instead of after paint etc. is finished.

Looking forward to seeing the Clubmobile in all it's glory.

Later

Goran Noren

Sweden

It seems from Mick's earlier picture that not all the wheel arches were the same.

This earlier picture shows the cut out not to be as wide.

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the confusion guys :oops: but I am afraid that Goran is right, the section that has been cut out of our Workshop is smaller than the original Clubmobile, as we have had to work around the workshop body frame and to keep the strength of the uprights we have had to cut the section smaller, if we had cut it to the correct size we would have had to cut through 4 of the 7 upright supports to the roof (photo 1).

The B/W photo (photo 2) was what we were using to see what our Clubmobile would look like parked next to an original. Soon after we started this conversion we realised that we would not be able to copy the original design, the floor and the roof was going to be lower, the serving hatches were to going to be further back but I think the part that will be the most noticeable will be the rear wheel arches, we have had to do the conversion at speed over the winter for the start of the re-enactment season and some details have had to suffer, if I had to build one again (and I would NOT :shock: ) I would start with a cargo truck and rebuild the complete body up from the chassis (and take 2 years off to do it) but the advantage of the workshop conversion is the floor and a good solid frame already there to build from. I am waiting for a metal delivery soon with the skin for the back and roof also the metal strips that cover the skin joints and we are hoping to get the truck to the "PRELUDE TO D-DAY" event this weekend, it will not be finished and will still need lots of work (e.g; complete interior, roof box storage doors and about 4 other small hatch doors in the bodywork ect ect) but it will be out on the road and at the shows and Cara will be happy :D:D:D .

arch.jpg

photo2.jpg

Untitled-5copy.jpg

So close and yet so far. Just had confirmation that the rest of the metal will be with us today and tomorrow, so looks like we might be in a position to get it finished !!

Fingers are crossed :D

Cara

x

Judging by his last post it might already be too late Karoshi.

Looking forward to seeing you both with the truck at Kemble and sampling the refreshments. It was an awesome task to undertake and you have made a superb job of it, can,t wait to see it 'LIVE'.

Cheers

Degsy

Bloody well done to you all. You have created a wonderful piece of work there you guys, you must be so pleased with it.

........and I will be over for a cup of tea at Horndean after Karoshi and I have finished over at the bar.

Again, well done you all.

Jack.

Yup, very nice too, congratulations. A credit to the movement.

Mick. Cara, have you read "Roll Me Over" by Raymond Gannter. A "Bulge" account of the Infantry mans lot. He makes several (passing) reference to the Donut Girls and the importance of their work, and expresses his deep disappointment when they were expected but didn't turn up.

Glad you could make it.

Mick. have you any more pictures of the weekend event?

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys.

I think we have, I am sure Mick will have a look.

One thing that came from the weekend, is that we definately have to get the stencilling done on the hatches side of the truck. We were really missing it, it didn't quite look right, very bare.

Cara

x