From the city, from the plough

Jolly Jeeper

Been meaning to mention this book for a while - From the City, from the Plough by Alexander Baron. It's a fictional account (probably be described as faction these days) of a British Infantry Division in the run up to and aftermath of D-Day. It was originally published in 1948 I think and is clearly written by 'someone who knew'.

No idea if it's still in print but it turns up in secondhand bookshops in paperback. I've collected three different paperback editions - one of them says on the cover that it's 'the finest novel about WWII' and it's hard to disagree.

JC

Sounds excellent and I will find a copy. I have a book about the retreat to Dunkirk authored by an anonymous officer in 1941 named 'Gunbuster' which is a really good read - especially for you 25 pdr fans. I'll look out the title. He also wrote another book about going in the other direction a bit later on. I remember finding his actual name on the tinterweb - but will have to revamp this info. I'll come back on this one.