Reviewed - Battle Order 204 by Mark Barnes

Jack

To true Jack,to true.

Baz.

There was a scene in the film, The Wall, where, sat bored at his desk, "Pink" writes himself some poetry which the teacher sees, reads to the class them gives him a good smacking.

Very clever to use the lyrics from "Money" (DSOTM).

And if you have ever seen "Classic Albums - DSOTM" from the BBC, Rick Wright explains how they reused some code ... I mean music (sorry - reuse of code is a mantra to programmers) ... from Zabriskie Point in DSOTM. He then sits and plays it at a standard grand piano. It is quite clear that had he not become a rock demigod, he could have been the 20th century's Tschaikovsky.

Basically they were a bunch of true, extremely talented musicians rather than the typical actress/singer/model/dancer we get these days.

Its great to see how many are now opening up to Pink Floyd........... ;-)

I don't think so. Most of 15/19H must have gone to the Westfalenhalle, Dortmund between 16 and 20 Feb to see The Wall. Baz and I were two. My fiancee of four days was there too.

For months thereafter, as I walked the corridor from my room through the accommodation, The Wall balsted from each room in turn, sadly never in synch.

One of the girls from Islington Green school who sang on Another Brick In The Wall is a solicitor with the firm at the top of my road. My mate Scott's mum lived in the council flats they used in the video. I used to know one of Pink Floyd's roadies, a really nice girl. But beyond that I have only ever owned one album - Animals. I could never get my head round any of DSOTM or that stuff, and was sick of sixth formers pretending they liked it to look clever while I was listening to the Rolling Stones and Lynyrd Skynyrd . Same with Yes - yikes.

Re trip to Dortmund to see The Wall, Phil Crammond from command Troop was there ad well.

Baz.

I bought tickets for about six. Bomber was the first person to out Sue as my fiancee of four days, despite her desperate attempts to change the subject lol.

[pedant:]Oh and BTW you are missing the words "all" and "how" from your signature block. [/pedant]

Very true - but I was up on my word count :cry:

.....it will be changed soon - just reaching for my Val Doonican album as we speak :-D

I don't think so. Most of 15/19H must have gone to the Westfalenhalle, Dortmund between 16 and 20 Feb to see The Wall. Baz and I were two. My fiancee of four days was there too.

For months thereafter, as I walked the corridor from my room through the accommodation, The Wall balsted from each room in turn, sadly never in synch.

Sorry, didn't mean it like it was typed, :whistle: should have said,

'Its great to see how many new listerners are opening up to Pink Floyd.'

Appologies for first posting,..................... :-)

One of the girls from Islington Green school who sang on Another Brick In The Wall is a solicitor with the firm at the top of my road. My mate Scott's mum lived in the council flats they used in the video. I used to know one of Pink Floyd's roadies, a really nice girl. But beyond that I have only ever owned one album - Animals. I could never get my head round any of DSOTM or that stuff, and was sick of sixth formers pretending they liked it to look clever while I was listening to the Rolling Stones and Lynyrd Skynyrd . Same with Yes - yikes.

Well, thats three Brilliant bands listed in one posting;........... ;-)

NOT saying which of the four, in my opinion,...isn't........................ :whistle: :-D

Whenever I watch the video of ABITW (Christmas is coming so it'll be on the music channels representing 1979) I always wonder about what happened to those youngsters.

DSOTM: get a DVD Classic Albums - The Making of DSOTM ( http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/120791/Classic-Albums-Pink-Floyd-Making-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/Product.html?cm_mmc=Ppcpm-_-Films-_-Classic+Artists-_-Classic+Albums+-+Pink+Floyd+-+Making+The+Dark+Side+Of+The+Moon&source=5061 ) and watch - it'll explain what it's all about.

Yes: I recently bought Close to the Edge because I love "And You And I" for its music (not the lyrics - google it). I have seen "And You And I" described as the exact pinnacle of prog rock and I have heard reports of venue management asking the band as they arrived, "And what planet are we on today?"

As much as Yes don't do anything for me, Rick Wakeman appears to be a right laugh. I suppose we also have to mention Emmerson Lake and Palmer in the same instant. More loons.

Lynyrd Skynyrd were a class apart for me and I regret never seeing them. The survivors morphed into the Rossington Collins band who had the guitar skills but not of the pzazz dished out by Ronnie Van Zant. They were due to appear at the Rainbow Finsbury Park when one of them killed himself on a motorcycle. I still have unused tickets for this gig. Somewhere in my archives I have one of those weird albums made for fake US radio interviews where the deejay at WKHMVF could "ask" carefully prepared questions and then play the answers at thirty three and a third. I suppose it is open to abuse. I also remember seeing Molly Hatchet at Reading - they made several albums, two of which have their moments. While they were on my mate Pete Harris kept standing up (it was a sunday afternoon) and people kept shouting at him to sit down. He ignored them long enough for someone to lob half of water melon at him which landed perfectly round his neck. I can remember him wimpering. I wish I could tell you the band were playing Flirting With Disaster at the time. Which leaves us with Blackfoot and, of course, the Allman Brothers Band. Where would Jezza, Hamster and Captain Slow be without Jessica?

I suppose we also have to mention Emmerson Lake and Palmer in the same instant.

Christmas is upon us, which means we'll be getting the video of I believe in Father Christmas:

They said there'd be snow at Christmas

They said there'd be peace on Earth

But instead it just kept on raining

A veil of tears for the Virgin's birth

I remember one Christmas morning

A winter's light and a distant choir

And the peal of a bell and that Christmas Tree smell

And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas

They sold me a Silent Night

And they told me a fairy story

'Til I believed in the Israelite

And I believed in Father Christmas

And I looked at the sky with excited eyes

'Till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn

And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas

I wish you a brave New Year

All anguish pain and sadness

Leave your heart and let your road be clear

They said there'll be snow at Christmas

They said there'll be peace on Earth

Hallelujah Noel be it Heaven or Hell

The Christmas you get you deserve.

What a profound last line in the song. Even more so when tied to the video and considering it was released in 1975. I have found this website:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=4121

Where a lot of people discuss their feelings and interpretations. It isnt until about halfway down that somebody makes reference to the images comprising the last few frames of the video.

We see (from memory - I see the video is on YouTube from the Google search I ran to get here) a troop of T55s in the desert; an attack aircraft dropping what passed then for a smart bomb; a section of infantrymen; a B52 carpet bombing some jungle. I bet Arabs and Jews had some great Christmases in the 1970s. But then they weren't Christians so they wouldn't care.

Edited because HMVF cannot handle an embed link to YouTube.

But my ears are now attuning to to Christmas as it loops in my head.

I think Greg Lake calls this song his 'pension'. It does have something about it, like Jonah Lewie's Stop The Cavalry, which I really like. My favourite Christmas record is still I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard, if only because Roy Wood is so bonkers. These days we are all supposed to be a bit 'right on' and like Fairy Tale of New York, which is excellent, but I've never understood the Shane McGowan cult. Poor old Kirsty MacColl literally lost her head on a Mexican holiday...and the culprit never went to jail. However, the best Christmas no1 will always be Benny Hill's 'Ernie' in my book; which brings us loosely back to Jack buying a WLF - because we NEVER found out who wanted him to start a milk-round, even though I have asked. Nice to see that The Simpsons did a version of the Animals album cover with Spider Pig flying over Battersea Power Station yesterday (which brings us back to Floyd...) I wonder if the RiffRAF were required to shoot this one down like last time? Doubtful... I think it was Lightnings that did the job, but someone on HMVF will know for sure. Happy rambling.....

Nice to see that The Simpsons did a version of the Animals album cover with Spider Pig flying over Battersea Power Station yesterday (which brings us back to Floyd...) I wonder if the RiffRAF were required to shoot this one down like last time? Doubtful... I think it was Lightnings that did the job, but someone on HMVF will know for sure. Happy rambling.....

I got Nick Mason's autobiog last Christmas and I don't remember his description of bringing down the flying pig involving the RAF at all. But I could be wrong.

(For those not in the know:

The cover of Pink Floyd - Animals features a giant pig floating above Battersea Power Station.

They thought it would be a good publicity stunt to tether a pig-shaped ballon to Battersea Power station and take pics. They were of course highly responsible and ensured that there was a sniper to bring it down if it broke free. It didn't, but the photographer got waylaid. The following day when they went for a re-shoot, the photographer turned up but they hadn't rebooked the sniper. Guess what?)

definitely remember that the RAF had to shoot it down because it was a hazard to Heathrow traffic. Even now Ossama Bin Laden has a hundred martyrs with footpumps blowing up pigs to wreck the skyways of Britain.....

Meanwhile CrabAir have one old Hawker Hunter warming up at Leuchars to save the country from Bears and balloons. Tally Ho Ho Ho.