Wartime motorcycles in Aust.

goanna

My late Father rode a Norton when in the Army during the War.  He was little, 5'3"and wore woman's boots.

He worked on RADAR and needed to travel between units to maintain/repair them.

He used to tell the story of being chased for many miles in Western Australia by the Police before they caught him.  His pass to speed (apparently they had them) didn't get him off and he was fined.

He went to New Guinea and worked with the US Army where he was irradiated by a faulty RADAR and died from effects.

He loved his time on the Norton and later owned a DKW (Ex German Army) but no idea what model.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Nice! thanks for posting these! some I had never seen before, like the first one, it's a Matchless G3WO, my favourite bike to ride.

Cheers,

Lex

run 20-05 b - kopie.JPG

Collins mus..jpg

Edited by welbike
Additional picture.
  • Like 1

Something like 20,000 of those Indian 741B's were shipped to every allied country and Island round the World. Over 4000 went to Australia. Obviously not all were used so you could buy one brand new for £166.  🤪 Ron

DSCF3064.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not sure of the brand or locations of the  bikes here ! Pic. 1 appears to be Air Force.

Side car pics dated 1915: Army National Reserve despatch riders

The last pic looks like a militia unit and the bikes are civilian owned and are being used on the weekend militia camp. Description: .Photograph of six motorbike riders, possibly Military Police from the 3rd Light Horse Regiment during the camp at the Mount Gambier Racecourse in 1941.

B-17540-40.jpeg

PRG-280-1-27-68 (1).jpg

B-70698-4.jpg

PRG-280-1-27-67.jpg

BRG-347-6606.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 1

The first picture is an Indian 741B. (an early one judging by the air filter and front lamp bracket 1941)

The 3rd picture is a Royal Enfield WD/C (350 SV) again 1941.

I know nothing much about flat tankers.  Ron

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Ron said:

Norton 16H. Ron🙂

They all look the same to me !  

The Norton was sold to a business Linroe Ltd ? 

The Army Registration Number books can be confusing, because there were two different registration systems in use concurrently.

1. The AIF was a volunteer force that was able to serve overseas. The AIF vehicle reg. numbers have a prefix: M for staff car, and L for Lorry and V for Van ( G.S.  light truck) 

2. The AMF was made up of militia and conscripts , in theory, only able to serve within Australian territories which included Papua New Guinea. . The AMF vehicle reg, numbers have a prefix red C 

Some units transferred from the AMF to the AIF . A few of the vehicles listed have notes indicating they have been transferred to or from the AIF and a new reg. number was issued. 

Edited by goanna