Shorland video

I echo what Wally says, Clive.  It is just great to see a British vehicle properly and simply preserved in its correct colour scheme and there for future generations to enjoy.  A job well done.  Hope all's well, that you  are enjoying the sunshine and that you saw the aurora last night - we didn't (of course)!

Thanks both. It was a bit wrench saying goodbye from having nurtured it from a non-runner after 34 years. There are no dedicated MV shows in Wales, driving it to England required a long drive mainly on the motorways where it can be frightening with restricted vision and limited speed. Many drivers seem unable to appreciate this and bully-boy HGV drivers driving frighteningly close to force me to somehow increase my speed made driving it unpleasant rather than a nice day out.

Few Shorlands turn up for sale these days and sadly some that got exported  have been severely blinged & turned into fantasy vehicles. It is true that you can do what you like with your own vehicle, but I felt a moral duty to preserve mine not just for the work I put into it but it is a historical artefact especially as it was the only survivor of the original ten issued to the RUC.

Although I believe I could sell to the highest bidder as it were & even selling to a trusted buyer there is no guarantee they will not sell it on once the novelty has worn off. A museum seemed the best hope to preserve it, particularly Ulster Transport Museum where it would represent both social history but an example of a local product.

The staff of UTM were most keen to acquire it & did their best to speed up the process but due to the administrative hoops to jump through it took about 10 months before the sale was complete & just in time one day before Wales went into a COVID lockdown.

I enjoyed displaying it & met many interesting people although I will not miss the people who think it was home-made or the Army veterans who dismiss out of hand as they served for decades & never saw one so it must be a fantasy vehicle without reading my information board which headlined with a few simple FAQs.

Is it real? - Yes
Is it home-made? - No
Does it float? - No
If you have any other questions I would be happy to talk to you.

There was a major misconception often fuelled by Land Rover magazines & on-line experts that it was a "riot control" vehicle. It was green because it was intended for rural use particularly in the border areas.

• Like 1

Yes, veterans can be a bit embarrassing at times.  I recall once an old boy extolling the virtues of my vehicle, reminiscing about his own national service and the enjoyment he got from driving one... I hadn't the heart to tell him that my immaculate Uaz 469 wasn't a Champ!  But, you'll recall our time at Builth 2 years ago - the chap admiring my (also immaculate!) Lightweight, telling his son all about his own when 'he were a lad'!  Turned out he and I had known each other in the Sappers years ago!

Yes it is sometimes best to keep quiet. I remember an old boy telling his grandson (I assume) that my Shorland was a Bren gun carrier like he drove in the war.

• Haha 1

@fv1609 Clive I notice that the film says that this is the only survivor of the first batch of 10, but in my notes I've convinced myself (rightly or wrongly) that there were two survivors? 🤔

The Dunsfold one, Ex-RUC and Ex-Beverly 27BT69, isn't that the other Mk1, or is it a Mk2?

Alec.

UTM Video Screenshot.jpg

Alec, there were two batches of RUC Shorlands which were all Mk 1.

10 issued 1966-67

5 issued late 1969

The Dunsfold one came from the second batch & was issued on 4/10/69 so it only saw RUC service for a couple of months before they were all withdrawn & put into storage with the Pigs & Commers.

Although mine was serial No.9 it was the 5th one to be issued to the RUC. The first 4 Shorlands were sold to Bahrain then the next 10 to the RUC.

Not sure why they think Harland & Wolf were one of the two manufacturers, the Shorlands were made by Short Bros & Harland.

• Like 1

Ahaa, understood 👍

Yes, the Harland & Wolf was an eye-opener. Possibly stretching the "Boat-Tail" connotation a little too far..... 🤣

Alec.

Alec hmm "Boat-Tail" I think you are teasing me now! The internet is awash with this little copy & paste nonsense of "known in Land Rover Circles as the boat tail Shorland" where site after site just pinch content & it gets repeated that people believe it to be true. But I suppose it is true if Land Rover circles know it as that  :  (

I have spoken to members of Shorland crews both RUC & UDR, people who made them & even the Shorland Sales Director, but none of them have heard of the expression & thought it rather odd that I asked as it doesn't resemble a boat tail at all.

I suppose I have this internet nonsense to thank for the endless questions asking if it floats. I must lie down & take some smelling salts.

• Haha 1

Its one of those nonsense references, a bit like a Land Rover Safari which never existed. Searle did a camper conversion called a Searle Safari, I think the name stuck!

I think it's an easy mistake to make really, 3 tonnes of non-watertight APC versus a multi-million pound powerboat. Wonder if they could supply it in NATO green/black?

Alec.

Monte-Carlo-52-Powerboat small.jpg