Wanted: A new large project

Jimh

After finishing the last Sentinel we will probably play with that for a few years until we do another one so we need something else to do in the interim and as usual thoughts turn to something large and most likely British. Since the British military tended to have most of them then it is probably worth asking around here. So I'm looking for information about:

1. Some sort of restoration project. Current favourites are Explorer, Matador or Militant although something else about that size might be tempting. Definitely not a Pioneer though. Done one already, not keen on another.

The thing is that we tend not to play with these things and get more fun out of the restoration process. Where we are now facility-wise we will take most stuff on so we would be looking for something closer to "dredged out the river" rather than roadworthy condition. This was the last MV we did here to give you an idea of the sort of thing we are looking for. In need of heavy restoration but mostly complete is close to the mark. Much always wants more but being near to central Scotland would be an advantage.

2. Anyone know anything about that yard in Auchtermuchty which contains or at least did contain a large number of interesting MVs but is now almost completely overgrown? I cannot for the life of me remember the chap's name but he came across as a decent sort and didn't throw me out when I turned up at his place on spec in about 2011/12. There were certainly some very tempting projects in there. 

3. Anyone know the whereabouts of this Explorer here?

2923674761_230b2a9aa2_o.jpg

This was it when we went to see it at Tighnabruaich in about 2006. Unfortunately at the time we were a bit green about these things and bottled out of buying it but I believe it was sold to some lad Dunfermline way. Another unconfirmed story said that the block had been frozen on it. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit rusty on the regs so may be out of date but I thought Militant Mk3s weren't classed as historic vehicles so needed to be plated? We were hoping to avoid that. 

Would be interested if that is not the case, however.

14 minutes ago, Jimh said:

I'm a bit rusty on the regs so may be out of date but I thought Militant Mk3s weren't classed as historic vehicles so needed to be plated? We were hoping to avoid that. 

Would be interested if that is not the case, however.

Still can be registered historic but you are right it needs an MOT as do all post 1960 !

I don't want much for it though...😉

Edited by Mk3iain

Seeing as you said large, how about an ex Hungary oilfield Scammell Super Constructor available in High Wycombe? It was on face book or whatever it is called a few days ago, has an offset cab which makes it look strange from the front.

39 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

Still can be registered historic but you are right it needs an MOT as do all post 1960 !

I don't want much for it though...😉

It's very tempting because I really like Mk3s but I would also need to get an HGV licence, wouldn't I?

How not much would you be looking for it? 

4 minutes ago, Jimh said:

It's very tempting because I really like Mk3s but I would also need to get an HGV licence, wouldn't I?

How not much would you be looking for it? 

Not much £1500 not including post.  Pick up only. 😀

17 minutes ago, Jimh said:

I'll have a chat with the other "stakeholder". I see the one photo in your advert for it from a while back - do you have anything more recent? 

Here you go, the light tin-work is very rusty !

Would make a good yard tool or tug ! 😉

IMAG0144.JPG

IMAG0143.JPG

IMAG0142.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi you don't fancy an ex- Royal Navy Bedford fire  engine/pump  ( a red- )Green Goddess? I have done a certain amount of resto/preservation but it needs a fair bit of work to complete but has done only 5000 miles and runs/stops/steers. I am in Aberdeenshire. I don't know if this was posted as our broadband was very difficult so this may be a repeat.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2024 at 10:55 AM, radiomike7 said:

Seeing as you said large, how about an ex Hungary oilfield Scammell Super Constructor available in High Wycombe? It was on face book or whatever it is called a few days ago, has an offset cab which makes it look strange from the front.

That's a fantastic vehicle, I just wish I had the space!

Is there any chance that you can join us at the Alford Transport Museum on 21/22 Sep for our military vehicle show which is combined with their autojumble? Many of the lads will be up on Sat 21 to camp over and celebrate. We will be allowed to sell our surplus gear on the Sunday. Hopefully we will get a really good turnout again. My email is  douglasmatheson@btinternet.com.