Gainsborough Medium Wheeled Tractor - Royal Engineers

Hi Mick,

A great article, well done. When I worked at 44 Command Wksp  in the RE Bay working on plant, probably about 1975, I had a brief encounter with a Gainsborough as I assisted one of the older guys when he was readjusting the gearbox bands. I always recall him saying that it needed a 40 acre field to turn around in! I did a lot of repair work on Allis 645 loaders and they were basic and easy to operate, another good machine. I see you were at RSME, I went on a plant repair course there in 1980.

Richard,

The Gainsborough was never any REME Workshop's dream machine as with any military special.  

Yes, like the Gainsborough operators of my vintage spent many hours on the Allis Chalmers, its successor.  As I alluded to in my feature I thank the lord the Gainsborough never ventured onto the streets in N Ireland in the early 1970s the Allis Chalmers was a god send in dodgy situations and I have a few tales to tell in that region!

I ran the Plant Training Area "The Ponderosa" as a WO1 Military Plant Foreman in 1984-6 and many REME guys passed through the Mech Training part of the complex at the bottom of the hill at Wainscott.

Mick

Allis Chalmers cab protection.jpg

• Like 2