Gyroscope from WW2 Glider, Sicily

ScarboroughSeadog

Howdy folks- my grandfather brought this back from WW2. He said it was from a glider in Sicily. That’s all I know- see the markings. Is it from a Horsa? Or an American glider? Is it from a gunsight? My grandfather is long gone and my Dad is trying to research the gyroscope, without much luck.

Grateful for any thoughts!

Thanks.

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1672.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Adrian Barrell said:

It's a vacuum operated gyro so likely from an attitude indicator or a directional gyro.

Absolutely, and it is likely just the inner gimble .  If you picture it with a second gimble to give freedom of movement, then sealed in a case with a tube vented to outside air pointing at the groves/vanes. The case is then subject to a vacuum and the tube "blows" the rotor and spins it up.  It can be mounted with a spring instead of the second gimble to provide rate of turn.

A bit basic but they worked on early a/c and other things.  Still in use on vintage aircraft, I worked on a 30s Beechcraft a few years back and the "auto pilot" was also vacuum and pressure  operated with bellows etc. Sorry, my original trade...🫢

How they get the vacuum.  https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/january/flight-training-magazine/what-am-i-vintage-venturi

Edited by Mk3iain
More stuff