Ministry of Supply Workshop numbers

Howard Godolphin

Hi,

My Jeep has a Ford engine in it with an brass MOS rebuild data plate. I have read though previous posts on this subject and understand who the Ministry of Supply were and why.

I saw a familiar name, Wally Duggan, on a post from about 2014 saying he was trying to put together a list of the MOS workshops, names and location. was this achieved? I met Wally in the nineties when he kindly showed me round the Beverley Museum, made me a brew and chatted about Army railway signs for Bordon, Longmoor and surrounding area.

The data plate shows my engine was overhauled to Scale 2 by Auxiliary Army Workshop B6. Id like to know who and where B6 were, purely to satisfy curiosity. My Jeep was put on a civilian registration in September 1948 and changed hands only twice until my purchase. My understanding is Scale 2 would be a rebuild to a roadworthy, saleable condition but not Scale 1 which would have been 'as new'. please correct me if I've understood that incorrectly.

The Jeep body does not have a brass rebuild plate on it. It is a willys chassis, early ACM1 body with a Ford wing and passenger seat. an example of interchangeable parts working well!

many thanks for any feedback

Howard

IMG_3126.jpg

Just seen this the collecting information on AAW's is a work in progress there were several hundred of these ranging from large private companies to small workshops these where all over britian and 1n 1945 employed over twenty thousand civilian workers and a the moment have less than one third listed . At the moment B6 is not a confirmed  one either location or who ran it but l have a large pile of documents still to sift through it's only lately that l found out there was one located ten miles from were l grew up which  council house's were built on  and up till 1948 it was still MOS owned