British Army: Trousers, DPM, Combat, Ripstop. Circa 1999-2001

paul connor

Hello, 

I have an issue I am trying to resolve in regards to Trousers, DPM, Combat being issued around 1999-2001.

"Trousers, DPM, Combat, Lightweight" which are abundant on eBay/for sale are not the same ones I was issued back in 1999-2001, they are much thinner and lighter in weight. The first issue of DPM trousers as field wear were ripstop material the same as the windproof ones that occasionally come for sale with the Velcro split on the outer calf of the legs which I think were labelled as "Trousers, DPM, Temperate, Combat, Ripstop". I even recall a more heavyweight version of these as "Trousers, DPM, Temperate, Combat" which also appear to have disappeared, but were a thicker more cotton like fabric

Trousers, DPM, Temperate, Combat, Ripstop. I think this was the first issue of Soldier 2000 clothing system.

I would like to buy a pair or two of the ripstop ones, does anyone have any leads?

Regards

Paul

In 1984-5 we started being issued what I recall as 84 pattern combats (I still have a jacket).

Nosing around an Army Surplus shop a few years ago I found what was labelled IIRC as 94 pattern. To my eyes identical but ripstop.

Didn't last long before being replaced by what I believe was a completely new CS95.

But I could be wrong.

To the best of my knowledge and experience, the only trousers out around the 2000's in DPM ripstop were the windproof ones as part of the rather short lived Soldier 2000 range. Like the matching Jacket, Field, DPM I think they were quickly phased out as being not particularly windproof and after a couple of washes and an ironing, or one exercise and a wash, were about as robust as a sheet of 2 ply bog roll.

• 4 months later...

I was issued a shirt and trousers in rip stop prior to my deployment to Kosovo in 1999.

They were exactly the same cut as CS95 items with no similarity to the arctic windproof smock and trousers which as I was also issued for the same tour.

They were of a similar material to the first issue CS95 smocks which were originally in a rip-stop material and the trousers were the same material as the early issue smock - which didn't shrink and bobble like the later issue - these were a brilliant bit of kit. The early CS95 smock was possibly the best one ever issued by the British army. 

I was among the first troops to be issued CS95 in 1995/96 in prep for deployment to Bosnia and have experience of every incarnation of shirt trouser smock and thermal jacket over the nest 11 years.

Memory not too clear but I would swear they had a designation of CS2000 and as I believe were intended issue for use in NI where the brambles on the border caused havoc with smocks and trousers.

How I ended up with these items I am not sure as they were received in direct exchange for worn items.

Hope this explains some points.

Bomb T