Desert Air Force jeep: Italy, 1945

Adrian Dwyer

I have just been going through my late father-in-law's photos from his flying days with 145 Squadron, Desert Air Force (DAF).  In and amongst images of his Spitfires (69 different aircraft flown) and Mustangs, I came across the attached.  I thought jeep aficionados might be interested in the jeep he used, and its markings.  (If you want to see his Spitfires - not all 69 - they are in today's post on the aviation forum).

All the best.

Blag jeep DAF.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, earlymb said:

Amazing pics here and in the other topic! Nice Ford GPW too, any more pics? Would love to see them, especially of any markings

I'm pleased you like the picture.  Most of Blagdon's photos are of the planes he flew - from the Tiger Moth to the Mustang.  I will go though them again and see if the GPW features.  If so, I'll add anything new here.

All the best.

A

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Gret photo.

Looks like that jeep had a little accident judging from the slightly bent bumper.

Blackout bulb and tools are missing.

Wondar what the "RAF type ?900" means

Hi @Enigma

RAF Type 1900, RAF designation for a jeep. 

More details here: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, earlymb said:

Seems it is, same background too

Certainly from the same photo album!

Sadly, the photos are very firmly glued in, so I can't get to see what's written on the back.  One that I very carefully removed (because an edge was coming up - but it certainly fought back) was numbered, with a description.  I'll attach an image but the text (Blag's handwriting) reads 'No47 Treviso.  View from Mess, Alps in the background'

The logbook shows the squadron relocated to Treviso on 3 May 1945.  I am thinking that more than vermouth was consumed at that stage of the war.

A

Album.jpg

Treviso.jpg

• Like 1