Hello there.

Grego

My name is Mike and I found this forum just a few weeks ago searching for various topics on Daimler Ferrets. And on that note last April I finally bought my first Historic Military Vehicle. It's a 1959 Daimler Ferret Mk2/3. I have been looking for one for a few years, but they were all either rather expensive, or would require a plane ticket to even see it. It was in "working" condition IE the engine did start, it did limp forward, but the hydraulic brakes were far gone. Anyway I have had quite the adventure with it and I'll be posting more in the British section.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1fb6f0a119d6d856bdc88a2ac8a1da4.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome.

Smart looking Ferret you have there.

New soft-lines for the brakes are *highly* recommended if yours haven't been changed in a while.  REME depot has them.  I also recommend changing the accelerator pump diaphragms and cleaning out the fuel tank and lines from the fuel tank to selector switchbefore wondering why it doesn't run better.

Thanks! ohh don't worry I have replaced all the brake components, hoses, rebuilt wheel cylinders, master brake cylinder, rear hardlines, etc. REME rebuilt my carburetor, and relined my brake shoes with non asbestos material. They are currently rebuilding my transmission. The engine died on me a few months back (you can read about it in another thread) and I'm slowly rebuilding basically everything. PXL_20230528_161905239_MP.thumb.jpg.e7b924ec63b52cabd1f879f9fb71abec.jpgPXL_20230528_161849659_MP.thumb.jpg.6b3bcd5f594609b80449fcb8a16e68b0.jpgPXL_20230528_161842091_MP.thumb.jpg.793fd4f22c440e5615f7580fa4013728.jpgPXL_20230220_223724406_MP.thumb.jpg.336f6af204dc2f9d41c0e770406d5b33.jpg

• Like 1

I found them to be expensive for a lot of things, but good on you for making it a big push.  You'll appreciate having things in such a good state when it's back together.

Bad luck on the engine!  Glad to hear you have it back together at least.

I'm just in the process of fitting Clansman intercom gear in mine and really loving the idea of being able to communicate with the person in the commander seat without screaming at them.  Next up: a long cable so I can have a conversation with someone outside while I try to navigate parking.  At some point adding a radio, but not ready for that for a while yet.

You've chosen a pretty good moment to be working on your Ferret, lots of parts popping up on Ebay and lots of CES for sale that got stripped off Ferrets that got sent to fight in Ukraine just now.

Nice on the clansman! I have a full C42 Larkspur radio and comms set to put in it. I will say the larkspur is quite antiquated with the mouth mic cup thing. The radio and coms do work, but I have a set of walker razor shooting ear muffs with the microphone attachment as a modern solution.

image.thumb.png.8d04447b9f8f0356eaacb42917ac9a0c.png

• Like 1

Very cool that you have a complete setup for the Larkspur though!

I've got some Larkspur cables, mics, speakers, and other bits, but most of it got lost/destroyed before I bought the vehicle, so starting over, Clansman seemed the thing to do.  Plus it matches my CVR(T) that way.

What paint are you using for the interior?  I had a couple rattlecans of high-heat aluminum that work great and are authentically soft and shedding, but don't know where I'll get more.

I've been using cheap rustoleum paint from Home Depot or amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7715830-Automotive-Accessories-Aluminium/dp/B0009XB2XC

It does tend to come off on your hands if you rub it, so I go over it with some matt clear coat to lock it all in. It does make it less bright and a bit more gray looking, but I don't have all that silver coming off my hands. You don't want to put it on thick though, just a light quick coat. I know it's not authentic and flame proof, but I don't plan on catching on fire anytime soon.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Matte-Clear-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-334022/307244852

Other than that the Deep bronze and Sky blue 101 for the engine I got from my perfect color. They are not cheap. I did get the Sky blue in matte, but I think it should have been a low semi gloss. Too late now. The deep bronze green I have in some cans and in a 1 gallon bucket. I'll freshen up the outside once it's running. 

https://www.myperfectcolor.com/paint/386391-british-standard-colours-bs101-sky-blue

Edited by Grego