Wanted Bedford JT or JC parts

fesm_ndt

I recall that United Service Garage in Portsmouth did 4x4 conversions on Bedfords. Just found this article about them;

https://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/11th-february-1984/49/four-wheel-drive-is-the-way-to-treat-sods

I see the Bedford in the photo on this thread has a West Sussex registration, so a possibility it was a USG conversion as Portsmouth is close by.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 5:09 AM, Richard Farrant said:

I recall that United Service Garage in Portsmouth did 4x4 conversions on Bedfords. Just found this article about them;

https://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/11th-february-1984/49/four-wheel-drive-is-the-way-to-treat-sods

I see the Bedford in the photo on this thread has a West Sussex registration, so a possibility it was a USG conversion as Portsmouth is close by.

Very informative, thanks

12 hours ago, Stezloco said:

Depending on your gvw could you use RB44 axles ?

That would be nice but I would need someone to do a fit up in the UK so I knew what pieces to buy

The wheels, gearbox, disc brakes, steering box would be required.  What is the wheel pcd on an rb44?

I prefer if it could work as ql diffs are historic.

Regards

Mike

3 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Mike,

Have you thought about using Chev (or Ford) Blitz axles and transfer case as there are still plenty of those old trucks lying around in Australia. The 15cwt C15A would be about right size I guess.

I have heard of one with blitz axles

I just kinda think it's sacrilegious but have to admit you do see them for $1500.  Any idea on diff ratios?

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike,

Unlikely, the QL axles are a different design to those on the RL and the RL ones are of a heavier design. You also need to consider the transfer box you wish to use and its output flanges direction of rotation, for example if a RL transfer box is used with QL axles, then the axles will rotate in two opposing directions!