WW2 unknown Royal Marine identified

Enigma

Short introduction;

In my village in the Netherlands in late April 1945 2 British Royal Marines went missing. (Ernest W. Cooper and Geoff Albert Johnson)

Not far away 1 unknown Royal Marine is buried with the same date of the missing ones. So a easy project!?

My brother started this project about 10-12 years ago with help from 1 of the missing relatives as well as others from our village and more people.

CWGC doesn't exhume for DNA even if a relative asks. Only paperwork is accepted. So, instead of a easy identification it takes a lot of effort and research.

NEWS NEWS NEWS;

The CWGC has approved the paperwork so the unknown soldier will be getting his name back and a new stone.

His name will also be added as a KIA on a big memorial plaque in our village, also initiated by my brother. He isn't on it because at the time of unveiling the monument it was not proven he went missing in our municipality.

His name is Geoff Albert Johnson, 30 Royal Marines. Welcome back Geoff and rest in peace.

Geoffrey Albert Johnson 30 RM (Groot).jpg

• Like 3

• 7 months later...