CVR(T) axle support bracket inspection and installation questions.

teletech

So many questions I'm afraid.

My axle support brackets have varying amounts of wear and I've also got some spares, so I'm planning to go through them all and pick the ten best, but what's "best"?  Some have heavy scoring that looks like it would be hard on the bearings, but could just distribute grease and be fine, while other are smoother but show more wear.  Should I be more concerned about wear to the outer or inner bearing surface?  What is the wear limit?  Then for the actual installation, how much antioxidant paste do I use between the bracket and hull, how much goes on the bolts holding the brackets on, and is there a preferred application tool.  Also, what to torque the bolts to?  I have at least one torn-out set of threads, can I use a normal heli-coil set and just smear the spring with the same anti-oxidant compound?  Finally, is it safe to prime the axle stub bracket on the back side?  I notice at least some of the British brackets seem painted between the hull and bracket, but the Belgian ones appear to be bare metal with the addition of the antioxidant paste.  The Belgian bolts and holes are well and truly full of antioxidant compound but the British seem to be much more sparingly coated.

• 4 weeks later...

Lacking outside advice, I went ahead and had a run at it, using a thin layer of primer on the back of the brackets and then a thin squeegee of the aircraft-certified anti-corrosive mastic.  Tightened things to whatever I saw online for that size bolt in aluminum, and called it done.  Hopefully nothing falls off.  All of the hull-sde threads were good, so that was a relief!

I had some of the mastic squeeze out of holes and between plates, but mostly feel like I got a good balance going.  I avoided the really rough stubs and otherwise just picked the best-looking ones for installation.  I might consider sleeving some of the really worn ones, but I feel like the ones I have are pretty OK for now.