bowman bits for intercom

teletech

6 minutes ago, gordonb said:

This one. The  press studs at the top of the shell engage with straps in the helmet.

https://armyradio.com/Racal-Clansman-Head-Set-and-Microphone.html

gmb

Press studs as an identifying feature, got it.

9 minutes ago, andym said:

Surely any ANR headset would work?

I'm sure any ANR headset would work, but finding one with the best isolation would perhaps help reduce the suffering of driving a Ferret.  I tried an active aircraft intercom that worked great in a WWII fighter and it was pretty inadequate in the Ferret.

1 hour ago, teletech said:

Press studs as an identifying feature, got it.

No it's the mic that identifies ANR headsets. The pic below shows a couple of different types of ANR, both work fine in the Ferret and you can mix/match but note they both have the slimline mic (one has wind cover). Any headset with a round mic as per the post a few above this one is the older non ANR headset.

ANR headsets use noise cancelling to blank out all unwanted noise apart from the commanders voice, you can almost hear a pin drop with them on and you can have a conversation at 50mph in the wind.

52677455573_10d695809d_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I managed to get a full set of clansman intercom boxes, a pile of cables, and some misc. from SeriesLR.  I can't say it was a great experience in many ways, but they did have a good inventory and they did ship promptly, so there's that.

I don't have any sort of guide to cable routing apart from the CES listing that cable x goes from say IB3 to CB2o, so at least I know the order they are connected in.  Hanging the boxes on the hull and connecting in that order has given me a system that appears to at least sort-of function.  It's hard to tell with just one person and two mismatched headsets.  I feel like the volume is low and perhaps not everything is working as it should be, but it does at least sort-of work, so hurrah!

If anyone had pictures or details of how the cables are routed, that would be a big help, particularly the DBF to the CB2d and CB2d to IC3 and the foot switch the commander has to the DBF.

I'd also love to see pics of the CB2/IB3 mounting in Ferrets, particularly if they don't use the "universal plate".

I'm waiting on an order of more ANR headsets and pressels, so that should help move things along once they arrive.

Edited by teletech

'd also love to see pics of the CB2/IB3 mounting in Ferrets, particularly if they don't use the "universal plate".

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, I am sure in a lot of cases it was like uniforms, it fits where it touches. I.e. stick it where convenient and your cables fit.

I have the universal plate but the bits and bobs on it are positioned to suit myself, that is as a driver operator; not something done in service.

My 321/352 setup is also unusual and I have the orientation of the 321 to suit me, not as per the official instructions.

03BB33  Mk.1

3 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Clansman in Ferret was covered in the sequence EMER COMMUNICATION INSTALLATIONS K 670-679

I've now found this rather nice writeup for the Ferret 5800-f-121-412, but I'm also suspicious there was some mounting variation by unit or at least over time.  I've seen quite the plethora of arrangements in the pictures and videos I've looked at, but I'm not sure how much of that is post-service modification and how much is "correct".

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/767079/07360.pdf

5 hours ago, gordonb said:

'd also love to see pics of the CB2/IB3 mounting in Ferrets, particularly if they don't use the "universal plate".

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, I am sure in a lot of cases it was like uniforms, it fits where it touches. I.e. stick it where convenient and your cables fit.

I have the universal plate but the bits and bobs on it are positioned to suit myself, that is as a driver operator; not something done in service.

My 321/352 setup is also unusual and I have the orientation of the 321 to suit me, not as per the official instructions.

03BB33  Mk.1

I'm more concerned about cable routing in the Spartan since there is no obvious neat way to get the cable from the driver box to the IB3 or commander box.

The Ferret is pretty easy, I have seen a few different mountings for sure and I do see where studs used to be for an IB3 in the location specified by the manual, but sadly they have been cut off and a set added for something else (guessing a VIC-1 since it was a Canadian Ferret). 

I guess I need to figure out the proper procedure for welding studs back on the hull without damaging the temper of the armor... not that I expect to take rounds, but it does seem the right thing to try to embrace the spirit of the thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the parts for Clansman are really easy to come by, but some of the hardware I guess nobody saved.  The hassle I had for a minute was the lack of correct standoff and mounting hardware for the Spartan.  After asking around from my usual suppliers and being told no or expensive, I took the path of least resistance and turned a few.  The brass isn't any sort of statement, I just had some correct size hex stock on-hand.

IMG_20230411_162939.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an ANR headset and I notice it's marked BOWMAN.  It look otherwise identical to a Clansman headset, and the connector looks the same, but won't quite connect to a standard pressel.  Does anyone know if there is any reason I can't just change the connector and make it into a Clansman headset, or if there are electronic differences as well?

2 hours ago, teletech said:

I bought an ANR headset and I notice it's marked BOWMAN.  It look otherwise identical to a Clansman headset, and the connector looks the same, but won't quite connect to a standard pressel.  Does anyone know if there is any reason I can't just change the connector and make it into a Clansman headset, or if there are electronic differences as well?

I think you'll find that they're identical - I'm surprised that the connector won't mate with the pressel.

Andy

22 hours ago, andym said:

I think you'll find that they're identical - I'm surprised that the connector won't mate with the pressel.

Andy

Thanks, with your reassurance I lubricated and exercised the connector body on the headset and with some force got it to click on.  I hear a popping sound every .5-4 seconds, so something is not right with the headset, but I can hear something, so it's not totally defunct at least!

2 hours ago, andym said:

Does the popping noise stop if you wear the headset?

No, it continues.

So far, I've only used it with the VRM-5080, so thinking on it I'm hoping that running through the full intercom it might be OK.

On 5/20/2023 at 3:32 AM, teletech said:

No, it continues.

So far, I've only used it with the VRM-5080, so thinking on it I'm hoping that running through the full intercom it might be OK.

The headset isn't working in the vehicle either (where both ANR and non-ANR headsets have been proven to work), so I assume there's something amiss with the headset itself. 

Is there a good HOWTO on headset repair?  Even just knowing what each of the seven lines going to the headset do would save me from having to tear one apart to work that out.

I did order up a pile of additional clansman gear and that included headsets, but most of them arrived as non-ANR headsets, crew-type, so it's something for the folks in the back of the Spartan at least.

Thanks again.