36x8 tyres

John Sgwar

As this Forum is aware getting imperial sized marked tyres is getting increasingly difficult. Older sized tube type tyres are either low volume production making them expensive or no new production, relying on old stock for supplies. As time goes by compromise is going to have to be the name of the game as age related use comes into effect. Metric marked tyres are going to be all that will be available, or possibly some imports from countries still using the old format.

Old size = nominal outside diameter x section height.

eg 32 x 6” is 6.00 by 20” in newer money. Subtract 2 x 6 to give rim size.

30 x 3 1/2” would be 3.5 x 23” (Ford model T)

36 x 8” would be 8.00 x 20” ( probably 7.5 x 20 would be easier)

Worth checking width of rims inside the flanges as that will affect choice too.

Offsett of rims may limit size as tyres should not touch when running and watch for clearance behind inside wheel too.

Looked after ( cool, dark and unloaded) and they’ll last quite a while.

Of coarse the other things to look at when changing tyre sizes is the load and speed rating. I presume we are talking about a Leyland Hippo 11a. For the time these were considered a heavy truck rated at 10 tons. I am sure that I can remember my father changing 36x8 tyres for 9.00x20 and even 10.00x20. I think the original front tyres 10.50 x22 were difficult to get back in the day. 

The calculations are correct so far as rim diameter goes however the vintage sizes had a 100% profile (they are as high as they are wide) whereas modern sizes are about 90% and thus require a wider rim and tyre to achieve the same outer diameter. This is why they look wrong on a vintage truck. As said 9,00 20 would be the closest to get you on the road and have the required load rating. The 10,50 x 22 are an American size and were likely specced due to war time availability. They will still be available from USA. but a change of rim to 20" would allow fitting 10.00-20 tyres. Check that the stud pcd is European and not American Budd.

Pre war lighter trucks often used 36 x 6.00  which at a glance looks similar but actually works out as a 24" rim and a modern nearest conversion would require a change of rim to 20" with 7.00 - 20 tyre

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Sgwar said:

I have been toying with the idea of putting modern rims & tyres on the front & back.

Modern rims are hub centric while yours will be centered by conical or spherical wheel nuts.

As Mammoth has mentioned, you may find that Scammell Explorer or AEC militant wheels might work with 14.00x20 tyres, they have a 3" and a 7" split rim to give a 10" wide wheel which can be fitted either way round to give a 2" offset on the rear and 2" inset on the front.