Ferret blowing its main 50A fuse=not charging..HELP!

jim fl4

Hi All,

I have a ferret which has a 2-speed generator, coupled with a Generator Box No. 2 mk2/1.

After a while of being stored I got it fired up and found the generator light stayed on.  On further examination I found the main 50amp fuse in the top cover of the Gen Box had blown, so I replaced it.  Started up fine, light went out and stayed out while the engine was running.  However, on stopping the engine, I could audibly hear a 'fizzing sound', I quickly cut the power from a battery.  I then tentatively reconnected the batteries and, no sound.  I then turned the ignition on again, got the 2 warning lights correctly lit and on starting found the red light was again staying on.  On investigation found the 50A fuse burned away!!

I must have a serious fault, I wondered if anyone here might have any similar experience?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Jim I had a similar problem on a Pig once. The main fuse strip had melted because one of the screws holding the spare fuses had loosened & was making contact with one of the fuse terminals. But there were obvious signs of smoke debris as well as the loose retaining screw.

I'm sure you realise that the red charge light will illuminate to indicate a maximum charge rate of  5A when the top cap is unscrewed. When replaced it should be fully screwed in to press the input & output wading covers to press down on the micro-switches & establish the full charge rate..

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your message.  I remember you mentioning it in an earlier post about the loose screws.  Not my issue unfortunately.  I think I must hace a dead short somewhere, at least it lasted until it ran out of fuel before melting so I'm assuming the genny is fine. 

Not familiar with Ferret's but  have seen similar problem on heavy charging systems when the voltage regulator contact which is suppose to open the connection to the battery when the engine stops is stuck.  This leaves the generator as a dead short to the battery which causes the fuse blow, before you burn out the generator.

Cheers Phil