Sean Mac , new to forum

Sean mac

Hi everyone I’m new to the site, also very new to owning a WW2  vehicle and im in the north west.

I’ve taken on the restoration of a royal Enfield wdco  b, I think I’ve taken on more than I first expected lol 😂 but I’ve time to do this now having retired , the only real vehicle work I’ve done in the past was shot blasting and paining which I did during my RAF days, I’m hoping for some guidance and information from some of the knowledgeable and experienced amongst you all. My motorcycle was purchased from a gentleman in Warrington, a couple of years ago  and im now just starting to do some work.I’ve compiled most of parts needed and some references to work,all I know about the motorcycle is that left factory in 1943 and contract C13870 and it’s old reg GVR 830 it didn’t have a Burman gearbox when I got it but I’ve got that now, and ready for a rebuild, there is some damage to the frame and forks which I probably will need particular guidance with 👍

Edited by Sean mac
Missing bits

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ron, jan as contacted me to,you both seem to be the go to people for Wd Enfields, I’m a novice in every way, jan as already given me some history of my vehicle and also given me guidance on a part I had difficulty locating, he sent me drawings and dimensions, really brilliant to have such knowledge available.I’ve found Hitchcocks 👍and have purchased lots of replacement parts.my motorcycle is really start from scratch and needs everything doing, I will asking lots , I’ve sourced a burman gearbox stripped it down now with replacement parts and a lot spare parts, polished and ready for reassemble, just lack a of confidence now lol 😂 I hope not to pester to much , but just get another ww2 motorcycle back on the road, thanks Ron 👍

Hi Ron, this was the motorcycle a few months ago before I started, the burman gear box I’ve grit ready to rebuild, and burman extra bits , possibly enough for another full gear box.there are some other bits I’m getting together, I do have more but not on pictures, think I’ve got the basics.

BB829F03-70C6-45C0-BC8F-47AF70FC0F15.jpeg

5F1E0C8F-AF77-45B9-B9ED-FE449A01F910.jpeg

E81DA5D8-AEF3-49DE-8207-A0C59051901E.jpeg

1833D54F-2041-4E5B-A88D-01C9FB7F17B9.jpeg

That's a fine looking methodical display of parts. The "Service Brown" is the correct colour for it's period of manufacture. However I would certainly want to address the cheap Indian saddle and  "helter skelter"  springs. 

Jan can advice you about that.  Ron

You were calling me Ron? 😄

Mac's bike was delivered to the War Department on 02/04/1943, so strictly speaking it is too early for a "Universal" saddle. The Universals only came out at the end of 1943. Originally this bike will have been fitted with the Royal Enfield model of a Terry saddle, so if you're going for a "factory fresh" finish this is the one that you're looking for. The original saddle may of course have been replaced by a Universal, later during the war... But as Ron says, these springs have to be replaced! 😊 

see also this thread:

Here's a picture of one of my genuine RE saddles. They had that unique 'D' plate spot welded on the nose, until the universal was used.

I found this guy on ebay who sells good quality mattress springs in all lengths. The Indian made springs are just rubbish. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183492104769

Ron

WDL 096.JPG

Edited by Ron

Thanks Ron , Im definitely having one of Jans, and I will get these springs so the larger ones are 6 1/2”and what is the size of the smaller ones 2” ? Is there a go to place for saddle and pillion covers ? I may ask frank brown, from Pegasus militaria if he would do a one of set , I know him and he is local to me I know he does good panniers, a great bloke  👍I know him from collecting military stuff 

Sean I've got this original Terry's universal. I'd say that the 7 short springs are 2"- 2 1/4". Then the long ones get progressively longer towards the middle 7"-7 1/2"-8". Those mattress springs are quite hard to stretch. 

Does Jan's saddle include the pre drilled banana plate? 

If I was going to set one up, I think I would order 7 x 2 1/4" and a couple of 7 1/2". Hopefully it would set you up to measure the rest?

R K Leighton's are the usual firm for saddle covers, but they only use modern vinyl.....Unless you provide something more suitable.   

Frank is a good bloke but I've never considered asking him about saddles........I await his reply to you.

Ron

DSCF5048 (2).JPG

Thanks Ron 👍jan didn’t mention banana plate , I get it with the springs get first lot in place then measure for rest then order whatever lengths are needed. 👍

I will look into seat and pillion coverage when I get them from jan, I’m a little excited lol , I’m a proper big kid.I would like something like rexine which I know there isn’t any these days, but I will get into that ne’er the time, thanks again 👍

• 2 months later...

Hi Jan and Ron ,I’ve sprung the seat,and ho boys those springs,they nearly got my fingers,but thanks to you both 👍 and Jan,s outstanding skills.

I also got my rear wheel re spoked,I’m just waiting on some brake shoes and I will pop the wheel back on ,till next stage 

68ACEA34-1F1C-4C24-93B0-34128BAF4AF4.jpeg

30C82749-42E3-4D18-8A0C-322D56C24D6D.jpeg

E7F51E17-DF00-4EED-81E3-5CCE6643B3AD.jpeg

206D23E2-5B20-45CB-B567-181F13B2BB9E.jpeg

66F0B461-1E46-491D-A5B3-FF03A2339D46.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Frank's work is excelent but I'm quite sure that canvas seat covers on a WD motorcycle is a Myth.  The canvas covered motorcycle saddle was made by Wrights as a gun layers seat in an armoured vehicle. Maybe one did make it on to a motorcycle, but I've never seen it. 

Likewise the canvas ring that eveyone seems to fit on their petrol tank to soak up spilt fuel.

Ron

Sean I've also got one of Jan's RE saddles on the way. When it arrives I'll get my guy to make a couple to fit. I see you also have one of Jan's Acumen pillions. Ive already had one cover made, copied from my original and he's making some more as we speak. I'll keep you posted. Ron

DSCF4916.JPG

DSCF5162 (2).JPG