Cloth patches

Great War truck

I have go a cracking collection of WW2 (and some WW1) cloth patches and was wondering how to display them. I have some very suitable frames, but think that if i put them up in the light they might fade. That gives me the option of my downstairs toilet/shower room which has no windows. My worry is that they might then suffer from damp/condensation and be ruined that way, so i can only leave them in its current display case (a closed card board box). My other option is to put them in the downstairs WC and take them out every time someone has a shower. Does anybody have any thoughts or have displayed cloth patches in their house some other way.

Tim (too)

Keep well out of light!!! Display behind glass, preferably non reflective picture glass, it will also suppress UV. The backing should be of cloth that is non reactive. See your local museum or picture restorer for advice. you have a collection of antiques in your care.

Details on UV blocking Glass & Plastic here...

http://www.britmounts.com/index.php?

seite=Produkt%20Listing%20Kategorie

&navi=produkte&subnavi=produkte&pg=&quality=&vartakeover=true&FS460e25ec119a7=treeevent&autowert=FS460e25ec119a7

the backing is also vital. Some modern materials will react due to bleaches and chemical dies. The Victoria and Albert museum will give advice on fabric restoration and preservation.

Hi GWT,

you will need to visit / speak to some museus to see how they do it, or have a collection room that has acceptable humidity and the ability to block out sunlight, as mentioned acid free backing, something to keep the moths away (mothak) has that "military stores" type smell. Also any condensation / damp will be a killer. May be your cardboard box is the best place after all :dunno:

Sounds simple but avoid double sided sellotape at all costs maybe dress maker pins if they are wollen / serge material but do reserch as much as possible may be check out the wehrmacht-awards .com site..collections and display forum for ideas.

Take it from someone who nearly followed the advice of a top collecter of the late seventies..... that the best way to treat Iron Crosses was to clean with Amway metal cleaner (read abrasive) the dry them in a heated oven (gas mark 6 for 30 mins) :shake: :shake:

Ashley

Take it from someone who nearly followed the advice of a top collecter of the late seventies..... that the best way to treat Iron Crosses was to clean with Amway metal cleaner (read abrasive) the dry them in a heated oven (gas mark 6 for 30 mins)

Was he trying to up the value of his own collection then? :dunno:

Take it from someone who nearly followed the advice of a top collecter of the late seventies..... that the best way to treat Iron Crosses was to clean with Amway metal cleaner (read abrasive) the dry them in a heated oven (gas mark 6 for 30 mins)

Was he trying to up the value of his own collection then? :dunno:

not if he then followed his own advice, :whistle: :whistle:

don't give up. Have a word with your local picture/fine art framer. Most of them deal with framing textiles and all of them (if they are worth their salt) know about conservation grade materials for mounts and backing boards.

I have used materials for framing from Great Art & Lion - both are on the web.

Its a shame to have interesting things stashed away in a box.