Cvrt sabre fuel tank leak

Ronsandt

If you are using E5 or E10 (not a good idea) bio fuel the leak may have been caused by the fuel.
PET(G)  is resistant to these fuels and is suitable as a sight glass.
They may also have eaten through the sealant used to seal the sight glass, as Chris suggests fix the leak maybe ?

I only use 87 non ethanol gas. I would fix the leak but I always worry the gas tank “bag” is going to come undone and fill the bottom of vehical up. Plus if I put a smaller external tank I can manage the condensation problem and not have to have 40 to 60 gals in their. The gas gauge stopped working last year.   I will still fix the tank and suck it out.

Hi Ron,

hope you are all well. The  tank gauge unit is a good old fashioned mechanical unit, and it fully strippable, and probably just needs a clean up. The leak is fixable. Hose and pump in the filler, drain out what you can, turn the turret 90 degrees, maybe re move a seat and remove the unit. Much more satisfying to fix what you've got than a plastic marine tank bodged in! 

regards

terry

Use Pet G, to replace the sight glass...the milky/white  appearance is  the effect of ethanol rubbish,
Drain tank, undo bolts remove frame and  you will see how easy it is to replace. I think I used either blue Hylomar or Permatex No3 to seal the joint between the glass and metal frame on my Spartan, no more problems!

Edited by Diana and Jackie
added Permatex

I ordered a whole new unit. But I will rebuild old one as a spare. Thanks for the info. Don’t need fuel leaks. And what is Pet G exactly? When I git her 5 years ago we had used pump gas (ethanol crap) didn’t run good ect. We drained whole tank and now only use NON ethanol gas. Plus we put in dry gas after every winter, to help out with condensation water. You just touch the starter button and she runs great. Non ethanol gas is always the way to go. 

• 1 month later...

Hi I have replaced the tank bladder its not an easy job, you need to remove all the turret basket or take the turret off. I chose the removal all the bits from the basket. You also need to remove the back lower basket and all the MBC stuff so you can get to the filler and breather. You will also need a tame small person to get to reinstall all the bladder retaining bolts.  It's NOT an easy job!!!

Rob Dove  Rapid Military Vehicle Restoration may able to help with a good bladder and front plate

All the best