Alvis Berliet Wrecker

6 hours ago, B series said:

As attleej mentioned in his post,  these vehicle types do have a large and impressive engine.

The number in the Berliet truck names is the engine litreage. The TBU 6x6 being 15 litres, and the GBC 4x4 being 8

4 hours ago, attleej said:

I should have also mentioned that it has a large and impressive price tag!

John

I'm trying to find out how much the TBU 15 and GBC 8 cost around 1964. Do you know what they were?

I have don't know the purchase price circa 1964. But I would say it appears of cheaper construction than the  FV designs of the 1950's that came out of the WD design office. e.g Leyland Martian 6x6 Recovery.

Looking at the general design layout, (6x6 chassis, large diesel powertrain, winches, recovery equipment) I think the Bill of Material total cost would be similar to a 1950's US M62 Wrecker. I think both vehicles shared a Austin Westin crane assy. But the M62 would be produced at a lower piece price due to the quantity of the 5 Ton base chassis variants manufactured. 

25 minutes ago, B series said:

I have don't know the purchase price circa 1964. But I would say it appears of cheaper construction than the  FV designs of the 1950's that came out of the WD design office. e.g Leyland Martian 6x6 Recovery.

I've translated a couple of articles in the French magazine "Charge Utile". The authors seem to think the Stalwart was a commercial 6x6 modified to swim, when of course the FV600 series were punt hulls.

They make comments about Alvis only selling 1000, and the orders not coming in. What they forget was that the Stalwart was £16,000 in 1963, with the mark 2 being £20,000 a piece in 66.