1918 USA colours

Bob Grundy

Question

6 answers to this question

I can't remember where I found this now, but this webpage probably covers most of the bases. Apart from the various camouflage schemes adopted by the US towards the end of the First World War, it does also (briefly) mention the monotone colours in use prior to the war/prior to the adoption of camouflage: on p. 256 of the first document (Journal of the United States Artillery), it mentions, "...the usual Olive Drab Color"; and on p. 7 of the second document (Painting Instruction for Camouflaging of Ordnance Vehicles), under the heading 'Monotones used before 1914', it mentions, "...painting the vehicle with a monotone, battleship gray or olive drab".

https://www.lovettartillery.com/US_Three_Color_Pattern_FA.html

1 hour ago, Bob Grundy said:

Thank you. The Lovett info was excellent reading. Perhaps I should have said in the first instance that I need the colour or as our colonial friends say 'color' of the 1918 Ford 3 Ton Tank...

All the contemporary images I've seen seem to show them painted in a single colour, which given the time period (from the Lovett info) would suggest 'olive drab' (whatever particular shade that was in 1918). The museum exhibits are in that colour as well.

From the Model T Ford Forum:-

'The World War I Quartermaster Olive Drab was described by Charles Lemons, curator of the Patton Museum at Fort Knox, as the colour of pig slop, that is a very muddy olive brown. The colour for this Olive Drab was established by the Manual for the Quartermaster Corps, 1917, Par. 3964. The pigments used to mix Olive Drab were very simple: black and ochre.'

The whole topic:-

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/726541.html?1487529624

• Like 1