Book - German Military Trucks of World War One volumes 1 and 2

Great War truck

By Tankograd publications. The latest two books in their "Imperial German Army Weapons and Soldiers of the Great War 1914-1918 series.

My copies have just arrived. I cannot begin to say how excited i am to have this. Admittedly, i had been asking the author Jochen to do this book for at least the last ten years. The book is in two volumes with part 1 covering the background of German army motorisation, then trucks alphabetically by manufacturer Adler, Ageka, Ansbach, Audi, Benz, Bergmann, Braun, Bussing, DAAG and Daimler, while volume two covers Dixi, Durkopp, Dux, Hansa Lloyd, Horch, Komnick, LUC, Magirus, MAN-Saurer, Mannesmann-Mulag, Nacke, NAG, Opel Podeus, Stoewer, Unio, Vomag, Windhoff and foreign and captured trucks. There are additional chapters of them in wartime service, Accidents, recovery, repair, motor troops uniforms and documents. Both books together have nearly 400 hundred photographs the quality of which are superb. The difficulty and expense in obtaining such a high number of quality photographs is enormous and Jochen has established a superb work in bringing them together on a subject which no one has been able to cover in the past. I cannot recommend this book highly enough and i look forward to the next one in the series.

Book review 1.jpg

Book review 2.jpg

• Like 3

I have been in contact with Jochem at Tankograd recently and he has said that he is facing hard times in that we the public have not been buying books in such quantity recently, with the pandemic and lack of MV shows and stalls being a factor.  My recent addition to my collection from Tankograd was the one on the T-34 and British vehicles in Werhmacht Service in WW2.

The number and quality of photos in each,  is truely amazing and it would be a shame if Tankograd 'disappeared' in the malaise that is book buying.  Strange isn't it that the cost of a takeaway curry for the family will probably cost more than one of Tankograds finest, which you will have for ever, long after you discover you local curry house is 'all sauce and not enough meat' !

I was talking to a book seller on our Citroen meeting and he said the value of books were completly collapsing... joung people weren't buying much books. A large 300 plus pages Citroen DS book that was 350 euros now only did some 40 ... Difficult to get a living from that.

That is very sad, but matches what I had heard to. There are a lot of drossy books in print but there are some real gems as well. It would be tragic if publishers started going to the wall. I love having books around the house. Not quite the same having it all on kindle. Sad times.  

I can hardly agree ,  2/3 years ago a friend went to the Frankfurt Book Fair (invited by publisher of his book) , he emailed me and described how massive it was.    The real truth is that most/all serious books have a very extensive  Bibliography , primary and secondary sources - this permits legal plagiarism by way of footnotes.  Often / most often the author has done very little own research and introduced very little new material to his book.  At least the wood pulpers are kept happy.

My copies arrived the Wednesday great content particuly liked the vehicle recovery section with lorries going through bridges and off edges  ............. Think we need a Vol 2 for the British lorries Tim now the bar has been raised  🤣

• Like 1