WD RE flying flea engine Number?

Ant

Hi has Anybody got any information on this engine number I think it’s a 1943 to early 1944 but has no V prefix ?  It’s not the best of stampings but from what I can work out it’s 166 and 4818 And it has  The usual separate numbers stamped across the front 2257  already had the  narrow type  crank  fully rebuilt  for this one so just need to sort out the gearbox now 

Any help is appreciated  Ant

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

166 is by far the earliest "true engine number" in the Register. They certainly didn't use the "first in first out" principle at the Royal Enfield factory, otherwise it would have been fitted to an earlier frame. Maybe the very first batch of engines didn't have the typical V prefix? Unfortunately I don't have enough of these early numbers in the Register in order to see a pattern...

Jan

Edited by rewdco

Ok that’s interesting am I right in thinking it’s been  fitted onto a 1943 or 1944  Frame ?  As This is the engine I’m going to use for the second WD frame  once I have sorted out the rest of parts and some repairs  as for the frame  hopefully will have that in a the few weeks it looks like it’s got the remains of the original number but won’t know until I cleaned it all up and had a good look 

thanks  again  for your help  

Ant

Edited by Ant

Thanks  again so at least I know I can put this into the second war department Frame  i’ll post some more pictures when I get a bit further along had the crank fully rebuilt and I need to sort out a few repairs on the engine case and frame before I can go any further But at least I know now that it’s compatible with the frame  

Edited by Ant