M53 Cushman scooter frame plans drawings.

BC312

I want to build a replica of a M53 Cushman scooter just the frame and forks and see if its feasible to put an electric motor in it as a small project i have in mind. Just wondering if there are any blue print drawings with measurements about or i will have to take sizes from original scooter if so are there any owners in Hampshire near Bordon who wouldn't mind helping me having a measure up your M53 pride and joy. 

Hi

Light be worth a look at Milweb there have been a number of Cushman on the adverts . Including  a very reasonably priced 1946 one converted to wartime spec 

Post war Cushman are relatively cheap in The USA and it might be worthwhile looking there for o e without a working engine ?

Jenkinov

• Like 1

I saw that on milweb dont really want to buy one, although that price for the 1946 model was a very good. I thought there were a few about in the UK but doesn't seem to be much about, i suppose being sold at stupid prices most are kept safe in bank vaults. I would have gone to the W&P show like i do every year but not on so I may try the Odessey show. Failing that a model kit the larger the better. 

Are there any active Cushman scooter forum sites about, quite a lot of sites are not active at all they have all gone to facebook.

Edited by BC312

There are some plans/drawings for Airborne Cushmans. join the FB group, they are quite active, but there is one guy who has copies of factory drawings, but he's not going to share them. below some basic sizes.

Cheers,

Lex

PS, you have more chance if you post this in the Motorcycle section.

Cushman Domaines Description.jpg

Edited by welbike

10 hours ago, welbike said:

There are some plans/drawings for Airborne Cushmans. join the FB group, they are quite active, but there is one guy who has copies of factory drawings, but he's not going to share them. below some basic sizes.

Cheers,

Lex

PS, you have more chance if you post this in the Motorcycle section.

Cushman Domaines Description.jpg

I joined up the Facebook pages. I can understand why this guy wants to keep the drawings to himself. I will just take sizes from an original just like aircraft restorers take measurements of original plane parts when they cant get the drawing.

I will repost on the motorcycle section, thanks.

I got my manual from a Dutch guy who sells manuals on CD which are crystal clear ideal for printing of a page you need to study more for reference. With prices like that i would be scared to open the pages.

Edited by BC312

• 2 weeks later...

Hard work finding measurement, people got them but no reply back, thats 3 times that happened, must be in bank vaults with the price they fetch. Could have bought frame and forks for a 1946 model for 30 dollars in Alaska but the seller didn't want to ship, Civilian M53 models identical that don't have Airborne, D day or 1944 added to their M53 scooter sell a lot less. One day i will find one. I seems to be easier to find measurements for a Tiger tank than this scooter.

Well, scale models as you might know or not, are very altered in their proportions, this is done, as if you would exactly scale down the sizes, it just would look wrong, so that's a no-go. and then the scale is way too small. There is one in the Duxford IWM, but museums are all understaffed and there's not that many people that can take accurate measurements, or can read vernier, or even digital calipers.

Most people that own a real one are not very happy with supplying measurements, for the following reasons, it takes days and days to do it accurately, unless you have basic drawings, that only certain measurements need to be filled in, if I need measurements from someone, that are a bit more complicated, I send them a sketch, with clear instructions what, and from where to where to measure, usually that helps, but I never have had the need for very complicated drawings of parts. 

Second point is, that owners are afraid of that their bike will go down in value, if many copies will be made, I had a young chap here years ago, measure up my Welbike, gave him food and drinks, was there for a week every day, and then after a couple of years, 20 replica's were made, and then fast forward to last year, some were sold as originals!! I can clearly see the differences but the average guy doesn't, and gets duped in the process, this happens more and more, with expensive stuff, and I have made some people very unhappy, with telling them they bought a replica.

My two cents,

Lex

Below the Cush in Duxford, someone did some hefty modifications to it!

WP_001165.jpg

Edited by welbike

I can see what you mean about making hundreds of replicas, watch the Chinese don't copy them, they are pretty good ant making copies of most things, not much you could do if they did. It would be good practice to see what replicas are about of any vehicle and how to spot one especially exchanging vast sums these go for. People in the states have converted Civilian models for airborne which can be picked up for peanuts, even harder to tell the difference between original against original from year to year. I myself will be taking the measurements when i find one as i know what i want. Drawings ready just fill the spaces. I have had people in the past take measurement for of other things by just holding a tape up to a photo, not good enough, very inaccurate. I do find that museums can be very helpful if they have the exhibit you want to take measurements from and usually prefer you to measure up yourself. I did consider a model if you can find one, i believe Gekco made a Cushman set in 1/35 scale. I will find one in the end,  I will contact a French mate who can find out more of the French guy who makes the frame, as i have said i want to made an electric model as a project, anyway thanks for your input and advice, much apreaciated your help.

BC 312, message sent!

MatchFuze, there is a 1:6th scale model too, but was never able to find one, see pictures. Tried the toymodels link, but doesn't work for me! on this one the tyres are clearly too small.

Cheers,

Lex

DSCN3602.jpg

DSCN3606.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

I have seen  the 1/6 scale Cushman, you would think this scale size they would be spot on producing it in every detail. 

As for wheels and seats, i seem to recall Clements trading selling these a while back at the war and peace show plus some other bits. The correct size tyres 6.00x6 are the same size as Cessna aircraft tyres and hubs if i am not mistaken much cheaper than those from the states with original tread pattern. Is the seat original Harley or a dedicated Cushman style.

As i am picking my way with bits and pieces of info on these scooter i was wondering if there was a book about them or at least a detailed write up at least.

Ok, yes, it could have been a lot better, but that is with most 1:6th scale models!

Michel has no parts left for these, wheelbarrow tyres in 6.00 x 6 can be bought very cheap! but the best are the original thread ones that have been made in limited production quantity, and will not be made again in the future, I have helped with this project, and sent the company an original front tyre, that needed to be cut in half, but it was worth it, and they are absolutely spot on!

A book is in the making, in the US, it will be very good!!

Cheers,

Lex

Image-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

Image-3.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by welbike
spelling