Lwt black vinyl seats

LarryH57

Does anyone know what the part number is for a set of front seats for a Land Rover Lwt. I need them to be black not the light grey as used on some civi LRs.

The seat backs are the same and the three seat bases appear to be the same too for a 12v GS.

Sadly, it appears that these are standard seats for LRs and this is where I have gone wrong it the past. The Lwt seat back is relatively thin it seems and has fixing flap that is quite visible when seen 'just out of the box'.

Also the seat base is a wedge shape when viewed from the side.

But thanks anyway

Edited by LarryH57

The correct vynide  for the vast majority of LWT  is colour  CHARCOAL  , it was made by Wardle Storey  and is very non-stretch.

A very few of late Contract  with VRM of KC  + possibly some  KB  were in BLACK  non-stretch vinyl  (but not to the standard of the Charcoal stuff).

Rivet counting , the very best were from Solihull Trip Shop ,  you can tell them by the superior exposed  "Top-Stitch".

Other than stitch - all LWT had the same back cushions.style.

The seat base cushion (Squab)  there are EARLY  and LATE.

EARLY  squabs are screwed 1/8" thick  'alloy '  LID , (seat base) with a hasp to secure to turnbuckle.

LATE  squabs are slipped into  'retainers'   Retainer, angle bracket , these later squabs are secured to the seat base with leather strap.   The tank tops are covered with thin abt. 2mm  thick LIDS (these are not attached).

The side profile of early & late squabs differ slightly - so it is best to have the correct ones. 

VRM  of   -HG--    would be the change point of design changes to squabs.

• Like 1

Well Ruxy thanks for your posts - I guess my 'black' is your charcoal grey  but in my collection of bits I have one seat that is grey and any more of these I want to avoid.

As for the info off the website that will send me back to the Lwt with a camera and tape measure to actually determine what my HG Lwt has.

However I guess most LR parts suppliers don't give a dam and will supply their version of standard!

The Exmoor trim link and photo that MatchFuzee posted looks the part, thanks

Edited by LarryH57

• 2 weeks later...

All the LWT  S2A and S3  that were GREY  Vyanide  (leathercloth made by Wardle Story)  ,  in Land Rover terms  GREY = CHARCOAL   ,  a near colour of this Grey trim , by another maker is sometimes called  anthracite.

LWT seating fitted at factory as far as I am aware that was BLACK  - only in the last 3 years of production.    I have only had a good look at two  KD  (last of line)  and they were BLACK  , due to only a small quantity of  KD  - I assume all were BLACK.   Possibly most  KC   made were with Black trim. During these final years there were a few strange things - like leaving Solihull without rear lift eyes fitted  & no front bumperettes fitted.

In land Rover terms  trim that is  BLACK  =  BLACK.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:49 PM, LarryH57 said:

Well Ruxy thanks for your posts - I guess my 'black' is your charcoal grey  but in my collection of bits I have one seat that is grey and any more of these I want to avoid.

As for the info off the website that will send me back to the Lwt with a camera and tape measure to actually determine what my HG Lwt has.

However I guess most LR parts suppliers don't give a dam and will supply their version of standard!

The Exmoor trim link and photo that MatchFuzee posted looks the part, thanks

I am quite certain that no HG  Contracts were sent out by Solihull with BLACK trim ,   IMHO   the CHARCOAL is more pleasing to the eye,  and was superior (nil stretch) and very durable.   The genuine BLACK trim seems a little softer with a little stretch , it may be a little better than the civvy quality Black , it may be the same stuff - with Charcoal and lots & lots of usage it remains drum tight and polishes past the grain, the black does not.   I suspect Black was used due to a supply problem.