bl**dy rain!

paul connor

Question

13 answers to this question

Ok I have noticed that my landrover canvas does leak like a good un!

What is the best water proofing?

A hard top! and plenty of silicone!! :rofl:

i've used canvas waterproofer from a camping shop before, worked ok, but dont get it on the paint work, made a nasty stain! a friend of mone uses brick waterproofer from B&Q :-o swears by it, but i'm not convinced.

i have seen adverts for a canvas treatment that is coloured to restore the look of the canvas, but have not used it and can't for the life of me remeber where a saw it.

Normal IRR paint is harmful to canvas. In the early days of IRR there was no special canvas paint, so the instruction was to paint the canvas only at the start of hostilities.

Nowadays there is: "Paint, Finishing, IRR, Emulsion, Matt, NATO Green, Air Drying" it dries in about an hour and should cover the entire canvas. The black bits are in "Paint, Finishing, Polyvinyl Acetate, Emulsion, Black, Air Drying". Note this is not IRR. Other canvas paint also available in Light Stone, Red & White for ambulances markings.

Thompson weatherseal (As used on brickwork) is indeed very good, it even states on the tin that it can be used on canvas etc, and it costs about a tenner for 5 ltrs.

For best results, take off the canvas, lay out flat and then jet-wash using some detergent, to get the dirt out of the weave otherwise the proofer will seal in the dirt.

Let the canvas dry and then apply proofer before putting the canvas back on the vehicle, as the proofer will do a good job of adhering to the paintwork.

Had a FFR series 3 with a canvas roof up here in Aberdeenshire, in use everyday over a severe winter, and not one drop of water got in through the canvas....it just came in through the floors instead!! :-D

Best way to wash the canvas is to go to your local outdoor store or saddler and but Nikwak New Zealand rug cleaner. NZ rugs are canvas waterproof rugs used on horses. the Nikwak stuff is water soluble it washes out completley so doesn't interfere with the Thompson's. Whole job shouldn't cost more then about £25 and the rain stays out. Nikwak are also line have all sorts of useful stuff.